Pakistan – Mutanjan (Sweet Colourful Rice)
by Dahiza Umar
WHAT IS MUTANJAN?
Mutanjan is a sweet rice recipe made up with different colors, dried fruits, canned fruits (muraba) with the addition of meethai in it like rasgula and gulab jaman, as shown above.
The actual dish is ZARDA which is usually yellow in color while mutanjan is colorful, having 3 to 4 color. zarda have not so many dry fruits and meethai in it. The procedure of making mutanjan and zarda is approximately same but the ingredients are different.
ORIGIN OF MUTANJAN
This beautiful recipe is originated from Pakistan but has its roots from THE MUGHAL EMPIRE. This dish is known as the favourite dish of SHAHJAHAN.
Mutanjan is heaven for foodies specially those who have sweet tooth. It is widely eaten all over the Pakistan. On occasions like EID, SHABRAT, and even WEDDINGS, it is served as dessert in the menu. It is known as royal dish of old ages.
- 1 kg Rice
- 700 gm Sugar
- 3 cup Milk
- 100 gm Milk solids (Khoya)
- 4 Rasogulla
- 100 gm Green Ashrafi (canned fruits)
- 100 gm Red Ashrafi ( canned fruits)
- 1/2 cup Oil
- 20 gm walnuts
- 20 gm Cashew nuts
- 20 gm Pistachios
- 20 gm Almond
- 20 gm Coconut
- 4 Small cardamom
- 10 gm Raisins
- 4 gulab jaman
- 1/4 tsp Red food color
- 1/4 tsp yellow food color
- 1/4 green food color
- Pour water in a bowl then add salt, cooking oil and boil the rice.
- Take milk in a pan and dissolve sugar into it than add boiled rice.
- Now add Milk solids (Khoya), Rasogolla, Ashrafi Green, Oil, Ashrafi Red, Cashew nut, Pistachio, Almond, Coconut, Small cardamom, Raisins
- Add yellow color on one corner and green on other so as red.
- If you have dry powder of color just dissolve it in milk and spread on the top of rice
- Leave it on low flame for 15-20 minutes
- Delicious Muntanjan recipe is now ready to serve.
- Garnish with dried fruits and silver paper.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!