by Dahiza Umar
WHAT IS CHARGAH?
Chargah is a special whole chicken dish in which the whole chicken is spiced up with traditional spices, ingredients and yogurt than marinated it for 12 hours or whole night. The whole chicken is than steamed and deep fried. This method of cooking make it very juicy tender than when we fried the crispy crunch that comes over the chicken is the actual flavor of chargah. This is very flavorful and aromatic spicy dish which is served with its chutney( sauce), fries and naan.
SPECIALITY OF LAHORE, PAKISTAN
Chargah is traditional and classic dish of Lahore and famous in Asian cuisine
Chargah is famous dish serve in almost all restaurants in Lahore, Pakistan. Whenever who come from out of the city to Lahore must try this dish because it is all Pakistan’s famous Lahori chargah.
Any desi food lover have charga on the top of the list.
Traditional food is known as DESI FOOD here which is usually spicy, rich and full of butter that is very delectable.
ORIGIN OF CHARGAH
As the history of chargah is really not fully known but it is said that this dish is comes from the Indian Subcontinent and now very famous in Pakistan.
- Whole chicken : 2 kilograms
- Salt : 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Red chili powder : 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder : 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 1 tbsp
- Garam masala (whole spice powder) : 1 tsp
- Chat masala : 2 tbsp
- Black pepper powder : 1/2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder : 1/4 tsp
- Mace powder : a pinch (1/8 tsp)
- Greek yogurt / thick yogurt with no extra water : 1 cup
- Lemon juice : 4 tbsp
- Vinegar : 4 tbsp
- First of all take whole chicken and dry it completely with towel.
- Now add deep cuts horizontally along the breast area and legs so the marination absorbed deeply in the chicken and make it more flavorful not from the outside but also inside.
- Now take yogurt and all the spices into bowl like salt, chili, turmeric, whole spice mix except chat masala.
- Rub the spice and yogurt mix thoroughly on the chicken and leave it in refrigerator for minimum 4 hour to 12 hours.
- Now take your chicken out of refrigerator and steam it in a steamer for 20 minutes that make it tender and juicy.
- Now let it cool so we can fry it.
- After 20 minutes, when chicken is at normal room temperature deep fry the whole chicken.
- On the other side we have to make french fries to compliment the chargah
- We chargah is fried and have a crunch texture with beautiful golden color plate it out.
- At the end, sprinkle the chat masala and lemon juice on the top of chargah
- We have to make special mint sauce and plum sauce.
- To make mint sauce we have to blend a bunch of mint, a bunch of fresh coriander, few green chilies with salt and mixed in a bowl of yogurt.
- Serve the beautiful platter of charga and enjoy!
SERVING: 4 persons
PREPARATION TIME : 2O minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes