Pakistan – Keema Bhare Kareely (Mince Stuffed Bitter Gourd)
by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This dish is very common through out the Pakistan and is like a routine dish for those who live in Punjab, Pakistan. This dish is Punjabi dish and loved by the people of Punjab. This is actually a dish made up of two components with having main ingredients like Mince and Bitter gourd and this two ingredients stuffed and than mixed in the curry made by normal home made ingredients.
The name of the dish came from the word Stuffing, Stuffing is like mince which is spiced up is stuffed into the bitter gourd so the translation of this mince stuffed bitter gourd in urdu is, KEEMA BHARE KARELY. Keema is known as Mince in English either of any meat. Karely is called Bitter gourd in urdu, and stuffing of keema into karely is called Filling means BHARNA. So the name came out as keema bhare karely.
COMPONENTS OF THE DISH
This dish has almost three components, they assemble together in such a way that it will make you feel in heaven.
- The first component of the dish is of course, MINCE. Mince is used in this dish that is spiced up with it own simple spices and few chopped vegetables like onion and tomatoes to make mince spicy when stuffed into the bitter gourd. Mince is used of any meat like Chicken, mutton and even with the beef.
- Second component came into mind as the name indicate Karely, bitter gourd. This is the second main ingredient and can be used as into which mince is stuffed. To make Bitter gourd less bitter many methods are used, like by salting and washing as discussed later.
- And the last thing is Curry/ Gravy, our normal masala/ gravy made by onion and tomatoes with authentic and traditional spices.
TRADITIONAL CUISINE OF PUNJAB
As a true Punjabi, I love dishes of my traditions and even loved by people came from other region like Sindhi, Baluchistan etc. Punjabi traditional dishes are made with authenticity and their old tradition. The use of woods for fire and using clay pots as a cooking pot. These are the traditions that are still alive in Pakistan when move towards the area of Punjab.
HISTORY OF THE DISH
This dish is original dish of Punjab. When Punjab came into mind there are two basic regions, India and Pakistan where Punjab exists. At the time of Indian Subcontinent, the Punjab is same sharing their Traditions, values and flavors with culture. The cuisine of Punjab either in Pakistan and India so this dish is originated from that time and now included in the national cuisine of both region, India and Pakistan.
- Preparation time : 20 minutes
- Cooking time : 40 minutes
- Total time : 1 hour
- Calories : 900
- Carbohydrates : 50 grams
- Protein : 46 grams
- Fats : 45 grams
SERVING OF THIS DISH
This dish is served only with the bread that are popular in Pakistan like :
- Khameri roti
- Butter naan
- Tandoori roti
- Garlic Naan
- Paratha etc
WASHING OF BITTER GOURD
The main thing in making this dish is washing the bitter gourd to it less bitter. To make bitter gourd able to eat there are few methods like washing and salting :
THERE ARE FOLLOWING STEPS :
- Take bitter gourd and peel the outer layer of the bitter gourd and take the seeds out of the bitter gourd. Cut the middle section longitudinal and remove the seeds.
- Now wash them with luke warm water.
- Take salt around 5 tbsp spoons and mix them with salt and let them set aside for 2 hours.
- After that wash the bitter gourd and let it rest for next cooking step.
INGREDIENTS OF MINCE PREPARATION
- Mince : 1 kilogram
- onion : 1 choppes
- salt : 1 tsp
- red pepper : 2 tbsp
- garam masala : 1/2 tsp
- Dried pomegranate seeds : 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves : 3 tbsp
- Green coriander : 3 tbsp
- Green chilies : 2
INGREDIENTS FOR CURRY / GRAVY
- Onion: 3
- tomatoes : 3
- garlic paste : 2 tbsp
- ginger paste : 4 tbsp
- salt : 1 tsp
- red chili : 1 tbsp
- coriander powder : 2 tbsp
- cumin seeds : 2 tbsp
- turmeric powder : 1 tbsp
- black powder : 1 tbsp
- oil : 1/2 cup
- yogurt : 1 cup
- cream : 4 tbsp
Take mince and all other ingredients in a bowl and mix them together like chopped onions, all dried ingredients and let it rest aside to marinate it completely and juices releases to make it soft and tender.
BITTER GOURD STUFFING
- Take a bitter gourd, that is cut longitudinally from mid and from that slit stuff the small amount of the preprared mince into the bitter gourd.
- Prepare all the bitter gourd and stuff it with mince that is prepared before.
- Now take thread and bind the slit around the bitter gourd to make it secure from leaking the meat out of the stuffed bitter gourd.
- Now we have our stuffed biter gourd is ready.
FRYING OF BITTER GOURD
Now this stuffed bitter gourd is ready to fry into the deep oil, fry until they cooked and browned.
METHOD OF GRAVY PREPARATION
- Take a cooking pot and add oil into it.
- Now add onion and tomatoes into oil and sauted it for a while until the onions get translucent and aroma started appearing.
- Now after that add Garlic ginger paste and all the dried spices into.
- Add a glass of water into the mixture and let it cook for 20 minutes so that the vegetables soft and mixed into gravy.
- Now see of the spices get induced into the mixture than yogurt into it and mix it well.
- Now its time to add stuffed bitter gourd into gravy and let it cook for 20 minutes on slow heat.
- At last add cream into it to make it creamy texture.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!