By Muhammad Ibrahim
Karhi of dahi (yogurt) was one of the famous dishes of subcontinent. It is the part of local cuisine of subcontinent (India and Pakistan). It was mainly eaten with khichri. But people also liked to eat it with boiled rice or chappati also.
People add pakoras( fried snack which is originate also from indian sub-continent) to the karhi and also think that cooking karhi in mud pot increase it taste. It has deep texture of Rajistani local cuisine but it is also very popular in Pakistan Punjab, and almost liked in all parts of Pakistan and India. Punjabi karhi is so delicious with juicy pakoras.
I want to give you some advantages of this dish. As we know that it main ingredient is gram flour which is rich in nutrients and mineral and it has less calories. It contain allot of fibers also. Another main ingredient of karhi is yogurt which is source of calcium and protein and it is also very beneficial for health.
So without any further delay we ve towards the recipe of delicious Punjabi karhi.
- Curd 1/4 kg
- Besian (gram flour) ½ kg
- Coriander leaves ¼bunch
- Green chilies 8
- Haldi turmeric ½ teaspoons
- Garlic ½ teaspoon
- Coconut powder 2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Zera 1 teaspoon
- Whole red chilies 1 teaspoon
- 6 curry leaves
- Onion 3
- Oil ¼ cup
- Red chili powder
- Potato 1
- Spanish 3- leaves
- Chaat masala
Preparation steps for making karhi
Prepare the pakoras first
- Firstly gather all the ingredients.
- For making the pakora add beisan (gram flour) in the bowl.
- Then add chopped 1 onion, chopped Spanish leaves, cut potatoes, chopped 3-4 green chilies, 1 teaspoon red chili powder, and salt to taste, 1 pinch of chaat masala and some chopped coriander.
- Add some water and mix it well to make thick paste.
- Now put a pan on a flame and add oil in it. When the oil is heat up add better of material with spoon in it.
- Deep fry it until it become golden brown in color.
- After frying it dish out these pakoras
Method to make karhi
- Firstly grind the coriander, green chilies and coconut powder to make a fine paste.
- Beat curd in a bowl.
- Add this beaten curd in a pot and add 4 cups of water.
- Then add 3 table spoon of gram flour (besian) and mix it well.
- Add the grind masla (thin paste) along with salt, 1 tea spoon red chili powder, garlic and haldi (turmeric) in it.
- Cook and stirring the mixture continuously till the mixture boil.
- After that let it cook on slow fire till it become thick.
- Firstly heat the oil and fry onion till the get brown color.
- Add zeera, whole red chilies and curry leaves in it.
- Stir for a minute.
- When the karhi become thick add the pakoras in it and add baghora over it
- Immediately cover the pot and turn off the flame
- Your delicious karhi is ready.