Pakistan, India – Special Beef Nihari or Bong
by Usama Tariq
Special beef Nihari is a healthy breakfast. Word Nihari generates from word Arabic language “Nahar” which frequently means morning. Nihari is a special breakfast that is available at many Dhabas or restaurants which serve breakfast in Pakistan. Pakistani people eat this dish mostly on holiday. This healthy dish is very famous in Pakistan, but basically, it is originated from the Indian subcontinent. It is very delicious when we eat after Fajar prayers. The hot Nihari is eating with naan. Basically, it is used to be slow-cooked overnight but its taste is very delicious.
When Pakistan was an independent country the huge amount of migration of Delhi’s people setteled in Karachi or Lahore that’s why day by day this dish is famous continuously among peoples.
This dish was originated from the Indian subcontinent. In old Delhi, it is first discovered. Old Delhi India, during the reign of the Mughal Empire. Muslim Nobleman would eat it as breakfast.
- (Ginger) 1 inch piece
- (Ginger) julienne
- (Ginger powder) 1 tsp
- (Wheat flour) ½ Cup
- (Black cardamom) 1
- (Star anise) ½ piece
- Beef bong 750g
- Cooking oil 1 Cup
- (Cinnamon sticks) 2
- (Fresh coriander) chopped
- (Green cardamom) 4-5
- (Green chili) slices
- (Nutmeg) ½ piece
- (Mace) 2 pieces
- (Caraway seeds) ½ tsp
- (Kashmiri red chili) powder 1 tbs
- (Red chili powder) 1 tbs or to taste
- (Cloves) 7-8
- (Garlic) cloves 9-10
- (Salt) ½ tbs or to taste
- (Long pepper) 2
- (Onion) fried ½ Cup
- (Coriander seeds) 1 tbs
- (Black peppercorns) ½ tsp
- (Fennel powder) 1 tbs
- (Citric acid) ¼ tsp
- (Bay leaves) 2
- Water ½ Cup or as required
- Water ½ Cup or as required
- Water ½ liter or as required
- Water 1 & ½ liters or as required
- (Cumin powder) 1 tbs
- Take a spice blender or grinder; add caraway seeds, star anise, 2 bay leaves, black cardamom, green cardamom, 2 pieces of mace, 7 to 8 cloves, nutmeg, long pepper, black peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, citric acid, and coriander seeds.
- Adding these ingredients as mentioned in the ingredients’ portion.
- Cover the grinder and grind it to a coarse powder.
- After ground separate the powder into the small bowl and add water (1/2 cup or as required)
- Mix well and set aside.
- Then add garlic cloves, ginger(1-inch piece), half a cup of fried onion, and water as required in a blender.
- Cover the blender and blend it to make a paste.
- When the paste is ready set it aside.
- Now take pressure cooker on low flame add 1 cup of cooking oil, ground paste
- Mix it well and cook at least for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 750 grams of beef bong blend or mix well and cook on flame for 18 to 20 minutes.
- After that add salt to taste, Kashmiri red chili powder, and red chili powder mix well and cook again for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
- Then add fennel powder, cumin, and ginger powder, mix well
- Add 1 and ½ liter water or as required.
- Let’s bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pressure cooker and pressure cook until meat is tender approximately 20 minutes.
- In water, add wheat flour and whisk well.
- Include dissolved flour, mix consistently, and cook for approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Now take a spices mixture that you already made it add in it and mix well.
- Let’s cover it and cook on low flame until oil separates (approximately 10 to 15 minutes).
- Tip: Uncover it reserve chili oil for later use.
- Your Beef Nihari is ready to serve.
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- Serving: 6 to 7 persons
- Origin: Indian Subcontinent
- Calories: 752 Kcal
- Fats: 42g (51%)
- Proteins: 72g (39%)
- Carbohydrates: 17g (95%)
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!