Pakistan, India – Palak Gosht (Spinach)
by Reshaeel Nisar
Palak Gosht is the most common and favorite cuisine of people of Pakistan, India, and other Asian countries. Palak is also called spinach in the English language. This is a traditional as well as a healthy dish as it contains beef in it which is very good for health. Palak is a seasonal dish, it is mostly eaten in the winter season. Spinach gives a great combination with beef. Many people like to eat this dish because of its taste and as it is healthy for everyone so no one wants to leave this dish. This dish is tried by many people and everyone has their own method. I’ve made this dish in a completely different style, I suggest you all make this dish at home. I’m sure you’ll like this dish.
As I’ve discussed above that Palak gosht is a delicious as well as a healthy diet. This dish contains Iron, Calcium, and other proteins which are very helpful for our body. As we know that our body requires strength and it comes from iron and calcium. So this dish is rich in iron as well as calcium. Many people eat this dish not just because of its taste but because of its health advantages. Spinach is good for people who are patients of heart and sugar. So if you want to gain strength and build your muscles you should try this recipe.
This dish has many nutritional facts, as spinach also itself is a great source of nutrition but when it combines with beef or mutton it gives a great dessi and healthy combination. Beef is very helpful for our body strength. It contains proteins and fiber which is very good for our health. Some important things which beef contains are
- 250 g Calories
- 15 g Fat
- 0 sugar
- 0 carbohydrates
- 26 g proteins
When we talk about traditional dishes of Pakistan and India, Palak gosht comes to our mind at the very first moment. This is an old and traditional dish which is made by many traditional methods. Many traditional and old restaurants offer this dish. As we know that countries like Pakistan and India are famous for their old traditional cuisine. So Palak gosht is one they and you should try this at least once.
History and origin
The origin of every dish is very important and talking about the history of every dish, it is very advantageous for every person who is reading the article to understand the history of the dish. Palak gosht is a green leafy vegetable which has a great significant from past many years. So the spinach is originated form south India and also from Pakistan and in the history years ago it was originated from Persia which is now Iran and the surrounding places of this country. In the past when spinach was first originated from Persia (Iran) it was called as aspanakh over there.
- 1 Cup Water
- 4 cloves
- 2 green cardamom
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1kg chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup Fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 2 onions
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 & ½ tbs Qorma masala
- cubes 3 Tomato
- 2 cups Water
- Green chili 3-4
- ¼ cup Cream
- Green chilies sliced
- 1/2 kg beef boneless
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 & ½ tsp or to taste Salt
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Black pepper crushed
- Fresh coriander
Steps to Make
- First of all, we have to add water to a frying pan and boil the water for some minutes.
- After that add spinach, fresh coriander, fenugreek leaves, mint leaves, in it now cover the pan and cook it for 5-7 minutes on low flame and blend it with the help of a blender.
- After blending it you have to cook it on high flame for 3 minutes on high flame.
- Now add milk in it, then mix it well and cook again for 5 minutes and set aside after 5 minutes
- Take a pressure cooker and in that pressure cooker add oil, onion and boil it for 1-2 minutes.
- Now add cinnamon sticks, cloves, green cardamom, bay leaf, cumin seeds in a pressure cooker and mix it well.
- After that, you have to add beef and mix it well.
- Now after adding beef to the above mixture add ginger garlic paste, then mix it well and cook until it changes the color.
- After adding the above ingredients, you have to add salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, qorma masala, and then mix it well.
- Now add tomatoes to it and mix it nicely.
- After mixing the above mixture now add water, mix it well, cover, and cook for 20 minutes until the meat softens.
- Now after cooking for 20 minutes you have to open the lid of the pressure cooker and cook it for 8 minutes until the water dries up and oil separates.
- After that add crushed black pepper, garam masala powder, green chilies, and then mix it well so that it may taste good.
- Now after that add a blended spinach mixture, and mix it well and cook for 8 minutes.
- Now add cream into it and mix it thoroughly.
- After mixing cook it for few minutes until oil separates.
- Your Palak Gosht is ready now garnish it with green chilies, fresh coriander & serve with chapati.
Cooking and serving time
This is not a difficult dish to make, you just need to follow my steps while making this recipe. It may take only 50-60 minutes or more to make this dish. But if you want to make it faster then you can make it on high flame but it may affect the taste of this dish.
While serving this dish you just need make sure that you serve palak gosht with chapatis because almost everyone likes to eat this dish with chapatis and chapatis makes the best combination with this dish. This dish can be served to only 5 people.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!