Pakistan, India, Bangladesh – Mutton Rogan Josh
by Dahiza Umar
Rogan Josh is a dish usually made up of mutton and also beef is a aromatic, spicy and flavorful curry / gravy having yummy and tendered meat in it. The name of the dish is given as the word ”ROGAN” means clarified butter or desi ghee and ”JOSH” means in the sense of stew or gravy / curry.
This dish brighten up your dinner table with this flavorful, tasty curry inspired by Kashmiri Cuisine. This dish is having tendered meat along with huge amount of spices and herbs cooked in cream and curd, either slow cooked or pressure cooker is also used. Rogan Josh a traditional lamb curry cooked in a creamy sauce having traditional flavors. Lamb shoulder is best part to cooked in this delectable dish because it has some fat content and becomes tendered easily and juicy when slow cooked. A delicious dish to serve at special occasion, weddings, festivals or parties.
Rogan Josh is a master dish of the Kashimiri cuisine, originally originated by the Mughals. There from the years different variation of spices and herbs are added from different regions according to their own palate. As from the Mughals they are become a part of Indian Subcontinent and than Pakistan’s cuisine, Indian cuisine and Bangladesh cuisine.
- 1 Kg lamb meat
- 8 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 cup clarified butter / ghee
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tsp fennel powder
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 3 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 tsp black cardamom powder
- 2 Green cardamom
- 1 Cinnamon sticks
- 4 tbsp cream
- 2 Bay leaves
- 8 Cloves
- 1 tbsp garam powder
- 1 cup heavy yogurt
- Heat up the oil or ghee in a pot and add onions and fry until slightly brown.
- Than add garlic ginger paste and tomatoes and saute it for 10 minutes on slow heat.
- Now add cinnamon, bay leaves, green cardamom, cloves, black cardamom and meat together.
- Fry all things together until brown along with the onion tomatoes paste.
- Keep stirring for about 10 minutes than add 1 glass of water.
- Mix the yogurt and pour it into the meat.
- Add fennel powder, ginger powder, and let it cook for half hour or on pressure cooker for 5 minutes.
- Check if the meat is tender. fry it little if the water is not completely dried.
- Serve the dish having coriander on the top.
SERVINGS : 4 TO 6 PERSONS
PREPARATION TIME : HALF HOUR
COOKING TIME : 1 HOUR
CUISINE : ASIAN, PAKISTAN
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
CALORIES : 300
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!