Pakistan, India, Bangladesh – Kashmiri Dum Aloo Curry
by Hania Ahmed
Dum aloo is a potato curry which is in orange color full of masala (spices) and dry fruits. Delicious and creamy aloo with delicate taste and the aroma is out of the world. It is prepared by soaking potatoes in spicy onions ans yogurt to give it a special touch. T is made up by steam, we steam the potato and make curry. It has many methods to cook dum aloo and for making curry, like we use besan or we can use yogurt to make curry. This dish all depend on potatoes, they must be equally brown not deep fried.
This dish is originated from Kashmir, Pakistan. Its speciality is its kashiri masalas (spices) that kashmir’s people use in their dish.
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fats: 4 g
- Onion 1
- Tomatoes 1
- Besan or gram flour 3 tbs
- Red chili powder 1 tbs
- Salt 1 tbs
- Turmeric half tbs
- Coriander powder 1 tbs
- Cumin seeds 1 tbs
- Garlic paste
- Ginger paste
- Fenugreek seeds
- Mustard oil
- Cooking oil
- Boiled the water in a pan, add potatoes to it, if you have baby potatoes then add it full otherwise cut them into the center.
- When the potatoes are boiled take them out of the pan and peel off its skin.
- On the other hand, take a pan and add oil to it over a high flame.
- Add masalas in it like (salt, cumin seeds, red chili powder, coriander, etc).
- Take that boiled potatoes, do a hole in them, and add them to the masala.
- Fry them into the masala until its color should be brown.
- Now for the making of curry, you have to take a pan and add oil to it along with all the spices ( cinnamon, cardamom).
- Add chopped onions to the oil and fry them for making masala.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and tomatoes.
- Now add all the dry fruits and grind them well.
- Now in the same pan, add oil and cumin seeds in it over a medium flame.
- Now add curry in it and put more masala in it, red chili powder and salt.
- Make a paste and fry them over a low flame until it’s mixed well.
- Now add potatoes to it and leave it into the steam for 30 minutes.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 45 MINUTES
SERVING: 6 PEOPLE
CUISINE: ASIAN, PAKISTANI, KASHMIRI
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!