Pakistan, India, Bangladesh – Kanji
by Ayesha Umar
Kanji is a traditional fermented Pakistani drink. Kanji has a unique flavor a sour and a salty drink. Everyone like this during the fall and in winter season. Kanji is made by using dark purple carrot and add beetroot to darken its color. It has a unique color an taste. you are also need to add brown mustard seeds, salt and water. Put this all ingredients in a glass container and leave it in a sunny spot. It takes about 3 to 7 days. When it is done, cooled down and put it in the fridge. Kanji helps in keeping the body warm in winter season.
The water if kanji is in brown color which is made by brown rice. It prevents dehydration in diseases like diarrhea, cholera etc. This is best to drink early water and you look fresh as your skin and healthy. You will not feel weak or dizzy. It reduces the stimulation of bacteria and promote the healthy diet.It is often enjoyed as an appetizer drink. It is largely made through during winters and in every events like marriages etc. Fermented drinks serve as “Natural cooler”.
It is about 220 calories.
- Mustard seeds = 1 tbsp
- black carrot
- beetroot =1
- filtered water = 7 glass
- salt = 1 tbsp
- red chili powder
- Wash and peel the carrots and then cut them into the long slices.
- Take grinder and add mustard seed and then grind them, make powder.
- Add all the ingredients carrots, beetroot, mustard powder, salt and red chili powder.
- Stir the mixture and cover it with the lid.
- Now keep this jar in the sunlight for 4 to 5 days until its become sour.
- When this drink become sour it means that the drink is ready to drink.
You can also use water melon slices instead of carrots it also gives you a very yummy taste.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!