Pakistan, India, Bangladesh – Aloo Gosht
by Dahiza Umar
Relish a traditional mutton dish cooked in a traditional way, comes a mouth-watering delicacy to prepare on the festivities of Ramadan. Mutton cooked in dum along with medium cut potatoes ,spices and butter served with paratha, roti or rice for a hearty meal.
This special dish is prepared with mutton but can be cooked with any sort of meat like chicken or beef. Aloo is known as potato in english with they are cooked with traditionally prepared mutton curry it give a kick to any food lover who enjoy the values of traditional foods.The preparation method involves simmering lamb or beef pieces and potatoes over medium heat, with various spices. The potatoes should be of medium size. The uniformity in size makes the dish look appealing. This dish is cooked on special events in Pakistan like ramzan, eid or on eid ul azha.
Aloo gosht is favourite common dish from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. It is originated from the Subcontinent so it is included in the national dish of all these Subcontinent regions.
- 1/2 Kg Mutton or beef
- 5-6 Potatoes medium sized
- 2-3 green chillies
- 3 Medium Onion
- 4 tsp butter
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tsp Ginger paste
- 2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- fresh coriander
- 6 tsp Coriander powder
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Black cardamom pods
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 3 whole black pepper
- 200 Gram Curd
- 1/2 Cup Oil
- fry the whole masala in the pan with butter, the oil bubbles rise, add the mutton. Leave on medium or high flame for 5 minutes until the color changed to golden brown
- The water released from the meat by putting pot lid opened
- Blend the onions and the curd together in a mixer and set aside
- Add the blended onion and curd mixture to the meat. which is golden browned by the frying
- Keep on medium flame for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add a glass of water to cooked the meat properly and for some gravy and allow it to cook for 20 minutes until the meat tendered properly
- Now add the potatoes and close the lid. The potatoes and meat should be done within 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and a sprinkling of garam masala.
Recipe servings: 3 to 4 person
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour
Cuisine : Punjab, Asian cuisine
Course: main dish/ course
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!