by Arbaz Khan
Place of origin
Indian subcontinent in 18th century
Gur wale chawal or jaggery rice
Gur wale chawal or sweet rice or jaggery rice is originated in the Indian subcontinent. It is famous for its sweet taste in Pakistan. Sweet brings happiness to faces and this dish works well in this case. People cook this dish in some traditional events like Eid which is a religious event in Pakistan. Gur wale chawal is eaten as lunch or dinner and also sometimes as a snack. Jaggery brings a sweet taste to this dosh. Nuts play an important role in this dish. Sometimes people use sugar instead of jaggery in this recipe. This recipe is one of its kind and no recipe can beat it as a sweet dish.
- Total calories: 600
- Carbohydrates: 75 grams
- Fat: 30 grams
- Protein: 7 grams
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- Water as required
- Salt as required
- Half cup ghee
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 5 almonds
- 5 cashew nuts
- 1 cup jaggery powder
- 10 raisins
- Half cup of sliced dry coconut
- 4 green cardamom
- Half cup milk
- Take a bowl and add water in it. Now add required amount of rice in water and let them soak water of at least half hour.
- Now take a wok and again add water in it and let it boil.
- When water stars boiling, add cinnamon sticks and fennel seeds in water.
- After 5 minutes add salt in water and wait for 5 minutes.
- Now strain soaked rice and add in boiling water containing cinnamon sticks and fennel seeds.
- Wait for 30 minutes, strain rice and set aside.
- Add ghee in a wok and wait until it melts.
- Now add almonds, cashew nuts and coconut and fry for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute, add raisins and fry for few seconds and take out half quantity of it for garnishing.
- Now add milk and wok and mix.
- Add cardamom and fry for 5 minutes.
- Now add jaggery and cook for again 5 minutes.
- Add pre boiled rice in wok containing jaggery and mix them well.
- Add some ghee and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- Take out sweet rice on a plate and garnish with fried nuts.
- Gur wale chawal or sweet rice is ready!