by Usama Tariq
Karela piyaz means bitter gourd with onions. The aroma and fragrance of this dish are very attractiveness and mouth-watering. For being a Punjabi this dish is the special traditional dish that we can make with a mince of mutton or beef also this dish may be included in every household menu in Punjab. It is a special combination of sliced onions and sliced cut pieces of bitter gourd. This recipe is easy to follow and make it at your own home. You can reserve and freeze it for later use. When I was in teenager I really dislike this dish but later in the passage of time, I feel the importance and advantages of this dish in our daily life meals. This dish is full of nutrition, and for healthy living. I tried many recipes but this one is easier, tasty, and full of nutrition.
In Pakistan, it is a very common summer dish that makes at almost every home or which included in their food menus. I researched about this dish too much, my opinion or advice to those who have diabetes. This is really good for diabetes patients and controls the sugar level of the patient. This dish has many treatments and full of a healthy life. So, try it at your home from my recipe and follow all steps to make it.
The origin of this dish and its roots in Indian subcontinent or north India. This dish also knew as the Punjabi dish. The vegetable Bitter gourd especially found in summer.
- (Bitter gourd) 1 kg
- (Coriander powder) 2 tsp
- (Cumin seeds) roasted & crushed ½ tbs
- (Garlic paste) ½ tbs
- (Green chilies) 5-6
- (Onion) sliced ½ kg
- (Raw mango) peeled & cubes ½ Cup
- (Red chili powder) 2 tsp or to taste
- (Salt) ½ tsp or to taste
- (Salt) 1 & ½ tbs
- (Tomato) cubes 3 medium
- (Turmeric powder) 1 tsp
- Cooking oil ½ Cup
- Cooking oil for frying
- Garam masala powder ½ tsp
- Fresh coriander
1– Take 1 kg of bitter gourd then peel and deseed it.
- 2– Then take a knife and chopped it into small pieces.
- 3– Now take a strainer adds chopped bitter gourd in it, then add salt and mix it well.
- 4– Cover and rest it for approximately 30 minutes.
- 5– After 30 minutes wash out thoroughly at least 2 to 3 times.
- 6– Then squeeze to remove water from a bitter gourd with your hands and let it wet.
- 7– Now take a frying pan put the oil for frying then heat it.
- 8– Add bitter gourd in it and fry it until its color turns a golden brown and feel crispy.
- 9– Set it aside.
- 10– Now take a wok add cooking oil, onion and fry it until its color turns light golden.
- 11– After that add garlic paste and mix it really well.
- 12– Then also include tomatoes, green chilies.
- 13– Mix it really well.
- 14– After mixing up add roasted and crushed cumin seeds, salt to taste, turmeric powder, coriander, and red chili powder.
- 15– Now after adding mixes it well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 16– Then add peeled and cubes of raw mangoes.
- 17– Now cover the wok and cook continuously on low flame for at least 5 minutes.
- 18– After that uncover it and cook it on high flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 19– Now add reserved fried bitter gourd and mix it well.
- 20– Then scatter garam masala powder on the dish and cover it.
- 21– Cover and cook it on low flame for dum the dish.
- 21– Leaving for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
- 22– Then Uncover and mix well.
- 23– Garnished with fresh coriander.
- 24- Serve it with rice or chapatti or you can be served it with Tandoori roti or naan.
- Calories: 80.0 cal
- Fats: 3.7g
- Proteins: 1.6g
- Serving: 4 to 5 persons
- Origin: Indian Subcontinent
- Total Time: 1 and ½ hours