By Dahiza Umar
What is taka tak?
Taka tak is special meat recipe made up of various meat either lamb or beef organs like kidney,lungs, heart, brain, chops and liver.
The name is given to this dish by the sound producing while making the recipe.
Traditionally the large flat pan (known as TAWA here) and two spatula (knife/ blade type sharp edges) are utensils used to make this dish. While cutting these organs by spatula on tawa produce the sound like ‘’taka a tak’’.
And the name of the dish is taka tak.
TAKA TAK (SPECIAL DISH ON EID)
On EID UL AZHA (ISLAMIC EVENT) where all muslim have to sacrifice halal animal like goat, cow, buffalo, camel. On this special occasion this traditional dish is made. It is also famous in winters know as dish of winters.
- Lamb/ beef heart: 1/2 kg
- Lamb/ beef kidney: 1/2 kg
- Lamb/ beef lungs: 1/2 kg
- Lamb/ beef chops: 1 kg
- Lamb/ beef brain: 1/2 kg
- Lamb/ beef liver: 1/2 kg
- Ginger paste: 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste: 1 tablespoon
- Onion paste: 4 tablespoon
- Yogurt: 1 cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Red pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper: 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek dried: 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder: 1 teaspoon
- Chat masala: 1 teaspoon
- Butter/ desi ghee: 1/2 cup
- Wash the organs by adding lemon and salt into water and dried completely.
- Boil the brain into water by adding salt and turmeric for 10 minutes.
- On large tawa/ frying pan add oil/ butter with garlic ginger paste and fry a little than add organs into it and fry for 5 minutes.
- Now add spices into organs and add about 1/2 a cup and cover with the lid.
- Now after 5 minutes, check if organs are cooked around of 70% take that two spatula having sharp edges and cut the meet into pieces. That produces a sound known as taka tak
- You can either take organs pieces so no need to take spatula and cut after cooking.
- Now add yogurt and cover the pan for 10 minutes.
- See if the moisture has dried and meet has cooked add dry fenugreek powder. Mix and serve.
- Serve this dish with nan / khamiri roti and raita (yogurt with some spice).