Pakistan – Dum Keema Biryani (Steamed Mince Biryani / Rice)
by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This dish is very popular in Pakistan, as a national dish from Pakistan, at the area of Sindh. As everyone in the Pakistan must have biryani on the top of the list of favorite dishes. Biryani has its roots from the Sindhi province of Pakistan but is now, included in every cuisine of the different region of Pakistan. Biryani is a dish of world famous and has a huge fan following through out the world.
There is a saying bout Biryani, which is very famous in Pakistan as:
IF SOMEONE SAYS TRUE LOVE NEVER EXISTS ; MAKE THEM TASTE BIRYANI
Sindh, a province of Pakistan, from where biryani is famous. Sindh has a city known as ”Hyderabad” and the famous biryani is known as Hyderabadi Biryani or also known as Sindhi biryani. Biryani is a only dish of Pakistan which is liked by the people of every region like Punjab, Baluchistan and even outside of Pakistan. Sindh is a part of Pakistan, where the use of spices is very common in every dish from that region. The spices used in the dishes like cumin, coriander, mango powder, garam masala, cloves, cardamom and many more. So biryani is seems to be as the spicy dish because the use of many spices in many curry of biryani.
VARIETIES OF BIRYANI
It is assumed that biryani is only cooked from meat but in Pakistan, biryani has many varieties like:
- Chicken biryani
- Beef biryani
- Vegetable Biryani
- Aloo biryani (potato biryani)
- Keema biryani ( mince biryani )
- Kabab biryani
- Tikka biryani
- Fish biryani
- Masala biryani
- Yakhni biryani etc
TRADITIONAL STREET FOOD STYLE BIRYANI
In Pakistan, every thing is served even in the high fi restaurants and on the road side stalls. Like the heavy curry or rice things even some sort of starter etc. Food street of Pakistan, where things are made on stalls and served on the road side or small dhaba ( restaurant ).
COMPLEMENTARY SIDE SERVINGS
Things which is served with the biryani like :
- Mixed Salad
- Achar (pickle)
- Mint sauce
- Sliced onions etc
PLACE OF ORIGIN
Sindh, Province of Pakistan ( Hyderabad city )
- Preparation time : 20 minutes
- Cooking time : 40 minutes
- Total time : 1 hour / 60 minutes
- Calories : 250
- Protein : 20 grams
- Carbohydrates : 13 grams
- Fats : 8 grams
INGREDIENTS OF MAKING RICE
- Rice : 1 kilogram
- Salt : 2 tbsp
- Oil : 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds : 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves : 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds : 1/2 tbsp
- Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp
- Black pepper cones : 2 tbsp
- Bay leaves : 2
- Green cardamom : 2
- Black cardamom : 2
- Water for boiling
METHOD OF COOKING
- Take a pot full of water and add all the dried ingredients into the water with salt and let it boil.
- After a boil, add soaked rice into the water.
- Now boil it for 15 to 20 minutes, to make it 80% cooked.
- Than stain the rice and keep it aside to mix with prepared curry.
INGREDIENTS FOR CURRY
- Beef mince : 1 kilogram
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Red pepper : 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
- Cumin powder : 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tbsp
- Crushed chili : 1 tsp
- Green chilies paste : 2 tbsp
- Garlic paste : 4 tbsp
- Ginger paste : 4 tbsp
- Onion sliced : 4
- Tomatoes : 3
- Yogurt : 2 cups
- Oil : 1 cup
- dried plum : 1/2 cup
METHOD OF COOKING
- Take oil in a large cooking pot and add onions into it, Fry until golden browned.
- Now add garlic ginger paste into the onions and sauted.
- Now add mince with tomatoes and all the dried spices.
- Add 2 glass of water and let them cook for half hour.
- Now when water is dried and mince is cooked, curry is ready.
- Now add half of the rice in a separate bowl and than half of the curry into it.
- Than add half of the rice over curry and than half of the rice.
- Let it put on low heat for 10 minutes.
CUISINE : ASIAN , PAKISTAN , SINDHI
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
SERVINGS : 4 TO 6 PERSONS
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!