Pakistan – Creamy Mutton Boneless Handi
by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This dish is very popular dish of the Pakistan. This dish is made regularly on daily basis and even on the special occasion like get together and family dinners. This dish is actually a yummy and creamy gravy cooked with meat of any kind like chicken, mutton and beef but traditionally this dish is cooked in mutton. The use of cream and yogurt to make this dish is very unique and make this dish super delightful and amazingly delicious.
The texture of the curry / gravy is so creamy and palatable is just like giving a kick to next level of the taste. This dish is very easy and simple to cook with delicious taste and aroma. The use of traditional actual spices like cloves, cinnamon, bay leaves is giving the beautiful aroma to the dish and creaminess of the gravy is very unique texture.
WHAT IS HANDI?
The name of the dish is mutton handi so let me clear the concept of handi. Handi is actually a cooking pot very popular in the Punjab region of Pakistan. The use of clay pot to cook dishes and even serve in it is amazing beauty of Pakistan. This is what we called Handi, a deep clay utensil used to cook and even serve the dishes in Punjab, Pakistan.
The use of these types of utensils to cook and serve the dish is like wise in these pots is a tradition of Pakistan. In restaurants here in Pakistan, many different types of clay pots used to serve dishes.
TRADITION OF PAKISTAN
Pakistan has many varieties according to the culture and food with respect to the their different regions. The very old tradition of the Pakistan is still using now is cooking in the clay pots. Even dishes of Sindhi , Baluchistan or Punjab the use of clay pots is seem to be tradition of Pakistan. Now a days, these pot are still use by home cooks and even in restaurants to get the authentic taste and aroma to the dish is palatable.
The use of these types of the pot is now very common in the region of Punjab. People of Punjab uses to cook their food on oven made up by hand of clay for the authenticity of the tradition and cooking.
- Preparation time : 20 minutes
- Cooking time : 40 minutes
- Total time : 1 hour
There are my side complementary things to served with like :
- KHAMERI ROTI
- ROGANI ROTI
- BUTTER NAAN
- GARLIC NAAN
- ZEERA RICE etc
INGREDIENTS OF THE DISH
- Mutton : 1 kilogram
- Onion : 2 large chopped
- Garlic paste : 3 tbsp
- Ginger paste : 4 tbsp
- Green chilli paste : 5 tbsp
- Salt : 1 tsp
- White pepper : 2 tbsp
- Cumin powder : 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder : 2 tbsp
- Black pepper : 1 tbsp
- Yogurt : 2 cups
- Cream : 1 cup
- Butter : 5 tbsp
- Oil : 1/2 cup
METHOD OF COOKING
- Take a cooking pot and add mutton with salt and water of about 3 glasses into it.
- Now put this mutton on medium flame to cook with salt and make a simple stock of mutton.
- On other pan add butter and oil with onions into it.
- Now add garlic ginger paste to saute it and than add the stock prepared from mutton of about 1 cup.
- Add all the dried spices into it and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- When water is dried add half cooked mutton into the onion mixture.
- Now start frying the mutton with the onion mixture, after 10 minutes add remaining stock into mutton and let it cook for 20 more minutes.
- See of the mutton is soft and tendered now its time to add yogurt and cream into it.
- Give it a fry and serve the dish with roti or rice you want.
CUISINE : PAKISTANI, PUNJABI
COURSE : MAIN DISH
SERVINGS : 4 TO 6 PERSON
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!