Pakistan – Channy Bhature
By Ayesha Umar
The first thing that I want to describe is channy. Channy is an urdu word which means chick pea and bhature is a name of a chpatti like (poori) which we can eat with channay. Channay bhature is a “heart of Punjab” because this is firstly originated from PUNJAB. It is mixture of masala and known by a street food. This is pure desi dish if we eat this with
- Achar (pickle)
- Onions, tomato
- Chatty d lassi
Channy bhature is a breakfast dish. This is known by its taste and healthiness of this with low calories. Channay bhature is the healthiest dish that we can eat in breakfast. If you are pure desi then you should eat this with lassi. This channay bhature is special due to its ingredients. When we eat this dish with pickle, onon and tomatoes its taste watered your mouth.
Approximately 30 minutes
Approximately 30 minutes
- Saunf (Fennel seeds) = half table spoon
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) = 1 table spoon
- Tez paat (Bay leaf) = 1
- Javitri (Mace) = 1 piece
- Laung (Cloves) = 2
- Oil = ½ Cup
- Rai dana (Mustrad seeds) = half table spoon
- Zeera (Cumin seeds) = ½ table spoon
- Pyaz (Onion) grinded = 1 Cup
- Adrak lehsan paste (Ginger garlic paste) = 1 and half table spoon
- Tamatar (Tomato) pureed = 1 Cup
- Kashmiri lal mirch (red chili) 1 table spoon (optional)
- Namak (Salt) = 1 table spoon or to taste
- Dhania (Coriander seeds) roasted & crushed = 1 table spoon
- Haldee powder (Turmeric powder) = 1 table spoon
- Lal mirch powder (Red chili powder) = 1 table spoon
- Pani (Water) = 2-3 table spoon
- Chanay (Chickpeas) 500 grams (Boiled with 1 table spoon salt)
- Left over water from boiled chick peas = 1 Cup
- Maida (All-purpose flour) = 2 Cups
- Sooji (Semolina) = 1/3 Cup
- Cheeni (Sugar) powdered = 1 table spoon
- Baking powder = 1 table spoon
- Baking soda = ¼ table spoon
- Namak (Salt) = ½ table spoon or to taste
- Dahi (Yogurt) = ¼ Cup
- Pani (Water) = ½ Cup or as required
- In small frying pan, add fennel seeds, cumin seeds, bay leaf, mace, cloves and roast until fragrant and let it cool.
- In spice mixer, add roasted spices and grind to make a coarse powder & set aside.
- In pot, add oil, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds and mix well.
- Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- Add tomato puree and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add kashmiri lal mirch(red chili) and mix, add salt, coriander seeds, turmeric powder, grounded spice powder, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add water and cook until oil separates.
- Add chick peas and mix well.
- Add left over water from boiled chick peas and mix well, cover and put it on simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- In bowl, add all-purpose flour, semolina, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda, salt and mix well.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Gradually add water and knead until dough is formed, cover and let it rest for 1-2 hours.
- Take dough, grease hand with oil and knead dough again.
- Take small dough, make a ball, grease working surface & rolling pin with oil and roll out dough with the help of rolling pin.
- In wok, heat oil and fry until golden brown (pour hot oil while frying).
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!