Pakistan, Bangladesh, India – Cake Rusk
by Ayesha Umar
The meaning of “RUSK” is a dry biscuit or ” twice cooked bread”. Rusk is a type of simple or a brown bread which is made by sugar, butter and eggs. We bake it, chilled it and then sliced it. Rusk is actually a short water bread which is made by baking them like a modern biscuit. Most of the countries have rusk like biscuits ( over dried bread ).These case-hardened wonderful cakes were enjoyed at tea period and were wonderful for dunking in evening time tea or milk. the making of rusks was just a necessary need for home-cooks to search out from on a daily basis kneading and to make the bread last longer. It is usually eaten at breakfast with milk tea. It is a yellow baked cake which is bake twice. Other country known this as a ” Italian biscotti” but the only difference between them is a making of dough. We made it by mixing the egg, butter and flour simply and bake it.
the best part of having tea is actually the cake rusk we get to eat with it!
The very first rusk was made by a ” byzantine baker “.
In america we called this as Melba toast.
It’s super easy to make cake rusk at home!
- Butter = half cup
- eggs = 4
- sugar = 2 tbsp
- vanilla extract = few drops
- flour = 1 cup
- baking powder = 1 tsp
- salt = pinch
- cardamon powder = pinch
- Orange food color
- dry fruits
For making dough
- Take a flour in a bowl.
- Add baking powder to bake it easily.
- Add salt and cardamon powder in it.
- Use electric hand mixer to beat the butter and sugar.
- Now add egg one by one and mix it in a bowl accurately and add vanilla essence in it for the good aroma.
- Beat them until it smooth.
- Add flour mixture in to the blend of butter mixture until it gets hard dough to bake.
- Bake it for 40 to 45 minutes.
- check it with a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet for about 10 – 15 minutes.
- cut the slices of 4 to 5 inches.
- And bake them too for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Flip them and bake for next 6 minutes or until dry and crunchy.
- Cool and store in an air tight container.
According to the nutritionist cake rusk have more calories than bread.
- 100 gram of rusk have 370 to 410 calories.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!