Pakistan – Achar Gosht
by Dahiza Umar
WHAT IS ACHAR GOSHT?
It is a traditional Pakistani dish make up of pickle and meat. ”ACHAR” is known as pickle in urdu language and ”GOSHT” is used to said meat of any kind like mutton beef or either chicken. So the dish is made up of these two elements is known as ACHAR GOSHT. It is very original and authentic dish of Pakistan and is so delicious that it may give mark to your mind. Those who enjoy the traditions and facts of food this dish is for them.
”EVERYTHING YOU SEE, OWE TO FOOD”
ACHAR GOSHT, TRADITION OF PAKISTAN
Achar gosht is the authentic dish made in Pakistan at festivals, occasions or on special dinners to enjoy with family and friends. Achar gosht is looking like simple meat curry but it is totally different from flavors of simple mutton or beef curry it has the kick of flavors that is only seen in the food of old tradition era.
This dish is belonged to the province Punjab located in Pakistan where home made spices are used to make the dish full of flavors and bursting with aromatic spices usually used to make home-made pickle.
HISTORY OF THE DISH
This dish is commonly prepared in the Punjab village area of subcontinent where all the regions like India, Pakistan and Bangladesh lived together so the place of origin of the dish is Punjab, Subcontinent.
- 1 kg mutton
- 3 large onions
- 2 tomatoes
- 4 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- 2 tbsp green chili paste
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp crushed red chilies
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 cup oil
- 1 tsp black onion seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
INGREDIENTS FOR GREEN CHILI FILLING (PICKLE)
- 12 large green chilies
- 6 tbsp mango powder
- 4 tbsp mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp black seeds of onion
- Take a large cooking pot and add oil into it with onions to make it little translucent.
- When color starts appearing the onion, garlic ginger paste is added and add 1/2 cup of water with all the dry spices and sauted it until water evaporates
- Now add mutton and tomatoes into the pot with 4 glasses of water and put it on high to medium flame on pressure cooker for 20 minutes.
- When all the water evaporated and put the mutton gravy on high flame and saute it.
- On other side take whole green chilies and cut it from the middle and remove all the seeds.
- Make a mixture of spices with mustard oil and put into the cut of green chillies
- Now fry them for 2 3 minutes and add into the mutton gravy
- Pickled flavored mutton gravy is ready to served
CUISINE: PAKISTANI, ASIAN
COURSE : MAIN COURSE
PREPARATION TIME : 10 MINUTES
COOKING TIME : 30 MINUTES
SERVED WITH: NAAN/ ROTI/ RICE
SERVINGS : 5 TO 7 PERSONS
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!