Northern America, United Kingdom – Traditional Chicken Pot Pie
Pot Pie is a special and popular recipe in the whole world. It is very famous among the people of Europe. Pot Pie is mainly cooked with chicken but sometimes you can make it with mutton meat, beef, etc. Today I will show you how to make a pot pie at home with very easy steps.
Pot Pies made with a filling of pastry (made with a mixture of some vegetables or ingredients). This dish also has some types which are chicken pot pie, beef pot pie (those two’s are the most popular types), etc. as I already described above. In the region of Europe, there are few countries that make this dish in their own style and taste. The dish Pot Pie looks like a Pizza but something does will make it different from Pizza. This dish is very famous in the USA and in British cuisine not famous in all across Asia but I hope in coming times people do know about this dish in the whole of Asian regions and African regions too. Its taste is very delicious and can make it to any event or festivals or for the guests. The dish Pot Pie is specially made for banquets, in weddings, parties, etc. But if you follow this recipe step-by-step, so you can make it at your own home in a very easy way.
Origin and History
Basically, this dish was firstly introduced in North America. It is originated in the Neolithic Age around 9500 B.C. by discoveries made by archaeologists, with the running time it becomes popular in Europe’s countries. In the time of the Roman Empire, this dish is served traditionally and served at banquets and weddings as I described in the above paragraph. Maybe in the 16th century this dish is become a tradition in the United Kingdom and serving these hot Pot Pies from many restaurants and with the passage of time these pastries famous among all across European countries.
As we know that serving is the most important part of the dish. In British countries they serve Hot Pot Pie at every restaurants to the customers. The word pot means serving the through pot and its size almost same as pot size that’s why they called it Pot Pie. When you make it at your own home first you should bake it from oven and this use the oven serving tray, hence it’s size does not same but it depends on the oven tray that you used.
- (All-purpose flour) 1/3 Cup
- (All-purpose flour) sifted 2 Cups
- (Black pepper) crushed ½ tbs
- (Butter) 150g (hard)
- (Butter) 2-3 tbs
- (Capsicum) diced ½ Cup
- (Carrots) diced ½ Cup
- (Egg) whisked
- (Fresh coriander) chopped 1 tbs
- (Garlic) chopped 1 & ½ tbs
- (Onion) chopped 1 large
- (Peas) 1 Cup
- (Red chili powder) ½ tsp or to taste
- (Salt) ¼ tsp or to taste
- (Salt) ½ tsp
- (Salt) 1 tsp or to taste
- Chicken boneless cubes 250g
- Chicken powder 2 tbs
- Chilled water ½ Cup or as required
- Cooking oil 1-2 tbs
- Cream 1 Cup
- Dried thyme 1 tsp
- Fresh basil leaves 5-6
- Paprika powder 1 tsp
- Water 1 & ½ Cup or as required
- Take a wok heated on low flame.
- Add cooking oil as mentioned, chicken boneless cubes, and mix it well until it changes color into light brown.
- Then add salt, red chili powder.
- Mix it well and cook until chicken is totally fried approximately (5 to 6 minutes).
- Set aside.
- Take a frying pan and add butter heated it.
- Then include chopped onion, chopped garlic until it seems translucent.
- After that add diced cutting carrots then mix or stir it well.
- Then add All-purpose flour and again mix well for a minute.
- Then add water as required and whisk well for almost a minute.
- After whisking well add chicken powder and mix again.
- Let’s turn off the flame.
- Include cream as mentioned and mixing up again.
- Then add peas, diced capsicum.
- Put cooked chicken pieces on it.
- Then put crushed black pepper, paprika powder, dried thyme, and salt to taste on it and blend well.
- Add fresh coriander, mix well & set aside.
Making Pot Pie Dough
- Take a bowl add all-purpose flour (sifted), and salt mix well.
- Include butter (150g) and mash well to combine totally.
- Mix or mash well until it crumbles.
- One or two cups or as required chilled water in a bowl.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, mix and gather until dough is formed.
- Dust dry flour and divide into two equal parts.
- Let’s take one piece of dough, dust-dry flour, press with hand, and roll out with a rolling rod.
- Take a 10-inch oven-safe pan greased with oil.
- Place the rolling dough and put it on an oven pan then fix it with your hands and cut the edges of the rolled dough.
- Put ready chicken and vegetable filling on rolled dough.
- Now scatter it on all edges of the dough.
- Then take another piece of rolled dough and set it on the first rolled dough.
- Now cut the edges equally and seal the rolled dough with these edges dough properly.
- Include gashes on the middle of the crust.
- Let’s now bake it in a preheated oven (temperature required 170 degrees and time required is 35 minutes).
- Let’s cool down the dish.
- Your special Pot Pie is ready.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Calories: 425 kcal
- Cholesterol: 155mg and 42%
- Fats: 12g and 34%
- Preparation Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Baking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- Total Time: Almost 1 hour required
- Serving: 3 to 4 Persons
- Origin: European Cuisine
- Cuisine: Northern America
- Taste: Cheesy and Salty.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!