by Dwi Lias Susanti
There is a never-ending story talking about culture and tradition. Humans were created with differences, ethnicity, race, tribe, geography, and skin color. A difference that makes humans have various cultures and traditions. Each tribe has its uniqueness. Become a multicultural country can bring advantages to economic growth. They can use social media technology. With that, they can promote their unique tradition to attract more tourists visiting.
Myanmar is one of the multicultural countries that have more than 135 ethical live in harmony. This diversity sometimes creates an unusual behavior in the social relationship. One of the unique habits that happen in Myanmar brings their belonging using a flattened plate and put it in their head. Reading this somehow makes us feel the pain in our head and backbone. When visiting Myanmar, you will recognize that most street sellers in the bus station bring their product in their head. They feel that this is the most comfortable to bring stuff in their head.
In the culinary sector, Myanmar also has various types of traditional food that will be cook here. But basically, they eat rice and noodles as their main staple. It happens because they have a vast rice field, and it will cheaper to use it as the main ingredient. Myanmar people make several types of rice noodles to cook their authentic dishes. Ohn No Khao Swe is one of the popular noodle curries in Myanmar.
Ohn-No Khao Swe uses rice flour with cornstarch to create a chewy noodle. To make this delicious curry Myanmar people use several spices like galangal, turmeric, and coconut milk topped with sliced onion, sliced chicken beef, chili, and hard-boiled egg. To cook Ohn-No Khao, we need to prepare the noodle by our self, and for the other ingredient, we can find them in your local market. To find out how it tastes, let’s cook some Ohn No Khao Suwe.
- 1 pack of vermicelli. Around 40 gram
- 500-gram rice noodle
- 2 litter of boiling water
- 1 kilogram on the chicken thigh, cut into bite-size.
- 3 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 pack of instant curry
- 2 cup of chicken broth
- 2 sticks of lemongrass, crushed.
- Half cup of coconut milk
- 200-gram beansprout
- Fried onion
- Celery, minced.
Rice noodle ingredient
- 250 gram of rice flour
- 25-gram tapioca
- 1 piece of egg
- 5 tablespoon of corn cooking oil.
- 1 tablespoon of water
How to make rice noodle
- Mix rice flour and tapioca.
- Add egg and salt.
- Slowly add water while keeping on the mixture.
- Heat a cooking pan. Pour the mixture and then flattened it.
- Emove the mixture and cut it into a noodle shape.
- Repeat the same process for all the mixture
How to cook Ohn-No Khao Swe
- Prepare the boiling pot.
- Add instant curry powder add cooking oil. Stir fry.
- Add chicken broth, water, and lemongrass.
- Add coconut milk, chicken, vermicelli, and rice noodle.
- Cook until the meat tender.
- Add bean sprout.
- Add fried onion and celery.
- Ohn No Khao Swe ready to be served.