by Zayna Khan
Dishes included in the cuisine of Japan has many other dishes from other regions. Those inspired dishes are than infused with Japanese flavours and came up with new fusion dish of other regional origin and Japanese flavours. So this dish is also a fusion cuisine which is originated from the Chinese cuisine and now very popular in Japan.
Gyoza is inspired by Chinese cuisine, it is a dish of fusion of two authentic flavours.
Gyoza or jiaoza is a Chinese dumpling which is also very popular in Japan and many other eastern countries. Jiaoza is like normal momos or dumpling which is a dough of many shapes filled with traditional fillings and seasonings and than it can be boiled, steamed or fried.
We can have do many variation is this dish according to your taste like you can add meat, vegetables, lentils in this dish. You can change the shapes of this dish and also you can change the cooking method of this dish according to your preference.
Different filling of gyoza
We can make meat fillings like the following :
- Chicken gyoza
- Beef gyoza
- Lamb gyoza
- Fish gyoza
- Shrimp gyoza
- Prawns Gyoza
- Crab Gyoza etc
We can have vegetables fillings according to the personal choice.
- Potato filling gyoza
- Cabbage gyoza
- Peas and carrot gyoza
- Capsicum gyoza
- Mix vegetables gyoza
Mixed fillings are like we can mix meat with some vegetables to enhance the flavours and enjoy the feast.
- Chicken and mixed vegetables
- potato and lamb
- Peas beef filling
You can have any combination and enjoy the dish.
Shapes and different folding methods
This is a dish of your choice so why not we can do anything with it. We have to prepare a dough and than we can shape them according to the occasions, fillings and your mood obviously.
So if you have a dough you can make many shapes like :
- Triangular shape gyoza
- Round shape
- Crescent shape ( traditional Chinese shape of dumplings )
Folding technique is according to the shape but the main thing to focus on is the thickness of the rolled dough.
If you rolled dough is too thick, it may not cook properly and than the taste of filling is disappeared. Only the taste of dough which is uncooked ruin your taste buds.
If you rolled your dough too thin. And when you cook them, the filling comes out of the dough and destroy all your work on this dish.
Variation of this dish
This is the main component of the dish which can be used in making many item out this main element. Following are the varieties of this main element as a totally different dish.
Goutie is a dish made up from these dumplings in other to their different cooking technique. They are sautéed in a pan and known as ”Pop Sticks”. They are best Chinese and Japanese street food dish. They served over the sticks as a Popsicles. They are very crispy and brown in colour from outside layer. The inside is juicy filling of your choice ; any meat, vegetables and anyone you like.
This is a Chinese style dim sum which is different from dumpling only in a outer layer which is typically made up from eggs sheets.
MOMO are the same thing but he dough used in cooking momos are different from the dumplings.
Wonton are same thing but in this dish, The dough is made very hard so it can deep fry it.
Dumpling soup is very famous and loved by the people of Japan.
Gyoza curry is and extra element added to curry as its main element to enhance the flavours.
NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINE OF THE DISH
- Calories = 500
- Fats = 30
- Protein = 105
- Carbohydrates = 34
Cuisine = Chinese Japanese fusion
Course = main course
Time required = 30 minutes
Cooking time = 30 minutes
Servings = Hot temperature
Yield = 6 to 8 persons
FOR MAKING DOUGH
- Plain white flour = 2 cups
- Salt = 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil = 2 tablespoons
- Water to knead
- Baking powder = 1 teaspoon ( can be skipped )
- Chicken = 2 lbs
- Salt = 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar = 2 tablespoon
- Cabbage = 1/2 cup
- Soya sauce = 2 tablespoons
- Pepper = 1 tablespoon
- Sesame oil = 2 tablespoons
- Garlic = 2 tablespoons
- Mushrooms = 1/2 cup
- Butter = 4 tablespoons
- Take a mixing bowl and add all the dough ingredients and mix them well.
- After mixing add water little by little to knead a soft dough.
- Dough must be soft and smooth, it required 10 minutes to knead a smooth dough.
- Now in a cooking pot add butter and garlic in, turn on the flame and starts cooking them.
- After 2 minutes add chicken mince into the garlic and starts cooking it on medium flame. It may lock the chicken juices inside the met sealed.
- Now add all the dried spices like salt, pepper with soya sauce and vinegar.
- Now turn the flames low and put it on heat with cover lid.
- Now after 15 minutes, when meat is cooked add cabbage and mushrooms into chicken and keep on frying it with chicken.
- We want crispy vegetables so cook them on high flames remain their crunchiness.
- After 10 minutes of keep on frying. Our filling is ready to assemble.
- First of all, take a dough and divide it into small balls.
- Now we have almost 40 small balls out of that dough material.
- Now roll these small balls into a flat circle.
- Filling must be cool down, add a spoon of filling onto middle of the circle.
- Tie the sides of the corner and fold them into crescent shape dumplings.
Dumpling cooking techniques
After this stage we have three option to go with there cooking style.
Boiling of dumplings are just to have a boiling water and add prepared dumplings into the water. In this way they can be cooked in 10 minutes.
Have a cooking oil in a pan and fry them in warm oil. It takes 4 to 5 minutes to cook them properly.
Steaming is just a way to cook them properly in a steamer. It required 10 to 15 minutes to cook them in a steamer.