by Umer Butt
ABOUT THE DISH
Tiramisu is a coffee flavored Italian dessert which comprises of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, mascarpone and heavy cream custard all combined together and finally dusted off with some cocoa powder at the top. Tiramisu is said to be the best dessert in all of Italy because of its beautiful textures and remarkable taste which sets the tone for the people. It is one of those desserts which tastes exactly the same as it looks. It is served all over the world with different variations. It is a dessert which is loved by everyone and it is the dessert to serve in the family gatherings as it brings happiness to everyone and makes the moment worthwhile.
Tiramisu is said to be made first in 1960 in the region of Veneto. Veneto is a region in the North of Italy and has many cities inside it. In the city of Treviso there is an restaurant named “Le Beccherie” whose owner claims to make the first Tiramisu in 1960 but is unclear that whether it is true or false. Because there was no recipe of this dessert before 1980 then it is very hard to accept the underlying facts. However this dish was eventually made at some point in life and whoever made this brought an sheer or excellence to this world and deserves all the credit.
MEANING OF NAME
Tiramisu is an Italian word which means “pick me up” or “cheer me up“. It is served at the end of the meal and is a way of cheering people up through its taste.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Brewed espresso 1½ cups
- Sugar ½ cup
- Egg yolks 5
- Heavy cream 1 2/3 cups
- Mascarpone cheese 14 oz.
- Vanilla extract 1 teaspoon
- Cocoa Powder
STEPS TO PREPARE THE FILLING
- Take a bowl and add the egg yolks in it along with the given amount of sugar.
- Whisk the bowl until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the mascarpone cheese in the same bowl and also some vanilla extract.
- Whisk the bowl until a foamy texture is created then set it aside.
- Take a separate bowl and add heavy cream in it . Whisk it but not too much.
- Add the heavy cream into the other bowl containing the mixture of egg yolks.
- Whisk the bowl until a foamy creamy texture appears in the bowl.
- Set the bowl aside your mixture is ready.
- Take your brewed espresso and add it into a bowl and let it cool. We will use it later for dipping ladyfingers in it.
ASSEMBLING THE DISH
- Take a flat bowl in which we are going to assemble our dessert.
- Take a ladyfinger and dip it in the espresso mixture.
- Then place the ladyfinger in the bowl.
- Keep repeating this process for all the ladyfingers until the bowl is filled.
- Once the bowl is filled add the heavy cream mixture over the ladyfingers and cover the bowl with it.
- Repeat the process of the ladyfingers again to make a second layer.
- Again add the heavy cream over the top.
- Lastly dust some cocoa powder at the top of the cream.
- Your dessert is ready to serve
TIME REQUIRED TO MAKE IT
- PREPERATION TIME : 45 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 40 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 1 hour
- YIELDS : 7-8 servings
- CALORIES 620
- CHOLESTEROL 290mg
- TOTAL FAT 46g
- TOTAL CARBOHYDRATES 37g
- SUGAR 25g
- PROTEIN 8g
- CARBS 38.8g
Tiramisu is a dessert full of calories and other stuff which can be harmful to the human body if eaten excessively. It is not recommended to eat it everyday but you can eat it at special occasions or once a while to keep your body healthy.
MY OWN OPINION
Tiramisu is one of the best desserts ever and it is like a bucket list dish for everyone. It is easy to make at home and more easy to enjoy afterwards. Its heavenly taste changes people moods that is why it is named this. It is a great dessert and I will always recommend others to try it and share with your friends and family members.