Italy – Ribollita
ABOUT THE DISH
Ribollita is an another remarkable cuisine of the Tuscan region in Italy . It is a soup made with leftover bread and different vegetables along with some beans. There were many variations of this dish but it is mainly recognized and made with these three things. It became so popular because it was so simple to make and required those ingredients which were commonly present at everyone’s home. Its incredible taste and richness in flavor makes it one the best soups to eat.
It originated in Tuscany where this soup was so common because it was made from leftover items. This dish dates back to the middle age times when servants used to collect pieces of bread and save it for later and then they used to boil it and add vegetables to it to make this soup. This shows that how much old this cuisine is, then in 1930 it became an official meal and was published in the books.
MEANING OF NAME
Ribollita is an Italian word which when translated into English means “Reboiled”. It got this name because people used to re heat their leftover vegetable soups and add bread in it to make it.
DISH OF THE POOR
Ribollita was also named the dish of the poor because of its history and also one of the major factor was that it was cheap. People did not require exotic and expensive ingredients to make it.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE IT
- Olive oil 6 tbsp.
- Bread ( Of your own choice)
- Onion 1 diced
- Garlic Minced
- Carrots 2 diced
- Celery sticks 2 diced
- Tomato 1 diced
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp.
- Leek 1 diced
- Parsley leaves 1 cup
- Beans (Of your own choice)
- Vegetable stock 4 cups
- Grated cheese ( Of your own choice)
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning)
STEPS TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Take a large pot and add the given amount of olive oil in it.
- Cut and finely dice the onion, carrots, minced garlic and celery sticks and put them in the pot.
- Keep mixing them over heat
- Add the diced tomatoes along with the tomato paste and mix.
- You can stop here if you want but if you want to add more garnishes then you can add the given amount of diced leek and parsley for more flavor.
- Add the vegetable stock and stir.
- Finally add the beans which is one of the essential parts of this dish
- Keep stirring and cover the top of the pot and let it cook for 40-50 mins.
- After cooking take of the lid and sprinkle some salt and pepper over the dish
- Voila your dish is ready, you can add the grated cheese over the soup if you want it is all up to you.
- To present it place your bread on the plate and cover its top with the soup you just made and finally add your grated cheese.
- Your dish is ready.
- Calories 194.6
- Total Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 0
- Sodium 684,mg
- Potassium 548mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5g
- Protein 8.2g
- Vitamin A 158%
- Vitamin B-6 12%
- Vitamin C 43.5%
HEALTHY OR NOT ?
Ribollita is one of the most healthiest cuisines ever. It is made with vegetables which contains huge amounts of proteins and good fibers which are good for human health. It is good for stomach and for bones and is an excellent dish for all seasons and for serving guests at family gatherings.
We all know that how rich is the Italian culture with its cuisine and flavors ,and this dish is no slouch to that. It is a dish that has a great heart warming history and moreover it is a dish that is easily made by anyone . Its flavor is impeccable and is a dish worth making and tasting once in your life. So I recommend everyone to try and eat this because it is worthwhile.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!