Italy – Osso Bucco With Gremolata
ABOUT THE DISH
OSSO BUCCO is an Lombardy cuisine which is an region of Italy. So we can say that it is an Italian cuisine as well. It is basically a cut of veal shank which is cooked inside of a Mirepoix (a type of sauce). Mirepoix is made by adding white wine, chicken or beef stock with vegetables to give the veal an tremendous and earthy kind of flavor. Osso Bucco is an classic Italian dish which is loved everywhere and is an great dish for serving people at homes. It is traditionally served with Gremolata (SAUCE MADE WITH LEMON ZEST AND PARSLEY )and Polenta (CORNMEAL) or RISSOTO ( STIRRED RICE). It is totally up to you what you want to add to the dish.
MEANING OF NAME
OSSO BUCCO is an Italian dish and if we translate it into English its meaning is “Bone With A Hole” which refers to the center of the veal shank which has a “Marrow Hole“.
OSSO BUCCO came into existence in the region of Lombardy in the 19th century. This dish became so popular there in no time because it was cheap and people could serve it to their families easily. At some point it was also named “The Dish Of The Poor“. Its popularity became so high that it was named the official dish of book “International Day Of Italian Cuisines” whose purpose was to preserve the greatest Italian cuisines. Now it is popular worldwide but the way it is cooked and served remained same because you can never change the originality of a dish.
INGREDIENTS TO PREPARE OSSO BUCCO
- Flour 1 cup
- Black pepper and Salt ( For seasoning flour)
- Veal shank (Depends on how much you want to make)
- Olive oil 2 tbsp.
- Onion 1 diced
- Carrot 1 diced
- Garlic cloves 6-8
- Sliced tomatoes 3 cups
- Tomato paste 2 tbsp.
- Chicken or beef stock 4 cups
- White wine 2 cups ( If you are a Muslim you can skip adding white wine)
INGREDIENTS TO PREPARE GREMOLATA
- Minced Garlic
- Lemon Zest
- Olive oil 1 tbsp.
STEPS TO MAKE OSSO BUCCO
- Take the mentioned amount of flour in bowl and season it with salt and black pepper.
- Coat your veal shank with the flour on both sides
- Take a pot and add the mentioned olive oil in it and place your veal shank inside it,
- We are not cooking the veal shank we are just caramelizing it on both sides for brown color
- After this take your veal out and place it aside
- Now we will make our Mirepoix
- Firstly add the diced onions, carrot and some celery in the same pan or pot
- After this add the sliced tomatoes and then its paste and stir
- After stirring for 2 minutes add the beef or chicken stock of your choice
- You can add white whine if you desire
- Place the Osso Bucco inside the pot containing the Mirepoix and cover the pot
- Place the pot in the oven and let it cook for 2 hours minimum at 315 degrees Celsius
- After two hours take it out and your dish is ready.
STEPS TO MAKE GREMOLATA
- Take a small bowl and cut some parsley and add it into the bowl
- Add minced garlic
- Take 2 lemons zest and also add in the bowl
- Take the mentioned olive oil and drizzle over the bowl
- Add some salt in the end
- Mix everything and you will have the greenish sauce which is Gremolata.
NUTRITION FACTS OF OSSO BUCCO
- Calories 155
- Fat 6.6g
- Cholesterol 78mg
- Protein 24g
- Sodium 77mg
- Calcium 18.70mg
- Carbohydrate 0.1g
- Dietary Fiber 0g
NUTRITION FACTS OF GREMOLATA
- Calories 6.2
- Cholesterol 0
- FAT 0.1g
- Protein 0.4g
- Carbohydrate 1.4g
- Vitamin A 16.9%
- Vitamin C 31%
HEALTHY OR NOT ?
Veal shanks are one of the healthiest things ever. It improves the immune system of the human body and provides good vitamins to the body. If you add the Gremolata with it then it increases the amount of nutrition because this sauce is basically all herbs and what more healthy is there then herbs.
OSSO BUCCO is the dish to taste. Its tenderness and the amount of flavor it has is just incredible. Also making it is so much easy and it does not require much high costly ingredients. Also if you look at its history it is really quite remarkable. So it is my suggestion to all food lovers to try this dish and if you ever visit its home region then taste one of their own recipes and you will never forget its taste,
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!