ABOUT THE DISH
Arancini is an Italian classic dish which is basically rice balls stuffed with ingredients like meat and cheese, it is then coated with bread crumbs and finished in the end by frying it in a pan giving it a crunchy texture. It can also be served with a dipping sauce of your own choice if you wish. It has been a part of the Italian cuisine for centuries and it is loved almost everywhere in the country. It is also considered one of the best European dishes of all time.
ORIGIN / HISTORY
Arancini came into existence in the 10th century in the city of Sicily. It is also regarded as the “Sicily’s cuisine”. From then up to now it is one the most favorite dishes and the most popular dish of this area. This dish is also made for the special celebration of the “SANTA LUCIA DAY” on the 13 December every year and has a quite reputation among the people of that area.
MEANING OF NAME
Arancini is an Italian word whose meaning is “little orange” this is given to it because of the dishes color in the end when it is fried and ready to serve.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE RICE BALLS
- Olive oil 2 Tbsp
- Butter 2 Tbsp
- Minced meat 1 cup
- Rice 2 cups ( TYPE OF RICE IS UPTO YOU)
- Chicken stock 5 cups
- 1 diced onion
- Salt 1 tsp
- Frozen peas 1 cup
- Any type of cheese cut into small cubes (For stuffing inside of the rice)
- Parsley 1/3 cup (GARNISH CAN BE OF YOUR OWN CHOICE)
- Cheese 1 cup ( TYPE OF CHEESE CAN BE OF YOUR OWN CHOICE)
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE FRYING
- 1 cup flour ( separate in a bowl)
- 1/2 cups bread crumbs ( separate in a bowl)
- 3 eggs ( separate in a bowl)
HOW TO PREPARE THIS DISH
- Take an empty pot and add the given amount of olive oil and butter in it.
- Add the diced onion along the meat and cook for 2 mins,after this add rice and stir it.
- Add the mentioned amount of stock in the pan and also add some salt in it and let it cook for 10-15 minutes so that the broth can be absorbed by the rice.
- Once the broth is absorbed add the frozen peas and the garnish of your choice and stir.
- Now the rice is ready so take it out from the pan and put in a bowl or a tray and add the cheese of your own choice in it to give it creamy texture.
- One by one make a round rice ball and add a cheese cube stuffing inside it and set it aside for the final step
HOW TO FRY
- As mentioned in the ingredients heading take three separate bowls of flour ,eggs and breadcrumbs respectively
- Take a rice ball and put in the flour mixture
- Then dip it in the egg mixture
- And lastly cover it with the bread crumbs
- Take a pan and add some oil in it and when it is very hot add the rice ball in it and fry it.
- Once the right amount of color is achieved take it out.
- Do this for all the rice balls.
- Serve it with a sauce of your own choice
- Your dish is ready
- Fat 6g
- Calories 190
- Cholesterol 33mg
- Sodium 384mg
- Potassium 149mg
- Carbohydrates 23g
- Fiber 1g
- Protein 8g
HEALTHY OR NOT ?
Arancini balls are made from rice which is an excellent dietary fiber for everyone and it is rich with proteins which is also essential for a persons diet. Along with all of this it has calcium which is good for bones and brain. But there is a saying that excess of everything is bad so it is never recommended to eat it everyday just occasionally is enough.
MY PERSONAL OPINION
Arancini is an incredible dish to make and to taste as well. It has a small history but it is loved everywhere. It is a great dish for afternoon snack and also for serving guests. It is rich in flavor and with a side sauce its flavor gets more complex but in a good way so it is recommended by me to everyone to try it once in their lives.