by Fauzan Anandika
When we talk about fashion, Paris will become one of our references. Paris has been a house of many world class designers and luxury fashion brand. Chanel, Dior, Saint Laurent, Hermes, and Louis Vuitton, were established in Paris. This fashion industry started when King Loius XIV rule France in 1643. Realized the importance of luxury goods for France’s economy, he brings some artistic business ideas that including textile trading. This business is under the kingdom’s control. This policy made Paris into a fashion center a long time ago.
In other places, Netherlands people in 1920 introduce Bandung city in Indonesia as Parijs van Java (Paris in Java). They do this to promote their textile product to get more customers and attraction. Up until now, Bandung becomes a fashion reference in Indonesia. Bandung city has a well-established fashion industry, start from cloth, shoes, jackets, and accessories. Not only known as a fashion center, but Bandung also has delicious food to taste. There is various snack like Somay, Batagor, or Bollen. If you want a complete meal, you can try Nasi Timbel or Mie Kocok. But if you wanted to taste something iconic, you can try Nasi Tutug Oncom.
Nasi Tutug Oncom is a warm rice mix grilled income with a side of sunny side egg, salted fish, and topped with fried shallot. For those who don’t know what Oncom is, Oncom is fermented soy pulp mold into a square shape. Bandung’s people eat Nasi Tutug Oncom for a long time ago. They eat it for their breakfast meal. Nasi Tutug Oncom has a salty, smooth texture and a little bit of spicy taste.
To cook Nasi Tutug Oncom, you need to make the Oncom first since it’s only available in West Java province in Indonesia. But it worth trying to cook Nasi Tutug Oncom. It has a unique taste that you never try before. There are several preparations in cooking Nasi Tutug Oncom, a challenging dish to try at home.
- 2 plate of rice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken broth powder
- Sweet basil
- 5 shallot
- 4 clove garlic
- 3 cm of galangal
- 2 cm shrimp paste
- 10 pieces red chili
- 3 pieces cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fried chicken
- Fried tofu
- Chili sauce
- 1 kg of soy
- Yeast (Neurospora sitophila)
How to make Oncom
- Grind all the soy until becoming a pulp
- Press and squeeze soy pulp to remove the water.
- Mold the pulp into a round and thin shape.
- Soak the pulp with cooked water for 7 hours.
- Put the pulp into a bamboo bucket. Keep in a dry place for 12 hours to dry the pulp.
- Steam until the pulp tender. Remove from the steamer, mold into a square shape, and keep it for 12 hours.
- Pour the yeast, and completely cover the pulp.
- Oncom will be ready after 6 hours of fermentation.
How to cook Nasi Tutug Oncom
- Grill the Oncom in a Teflon pan.
- Chop roughly the Oncom.
- Stir fry all the grounded spice.
- Add Oncom, sugar, salt, and chicken broth powder. Adjust the taste.
- Add rice and finely mix the rice.
- Add sweet basil.
- Nasi Tutug Oncom ready to serve with a side of fried chicken, tofu, chips, lettuce, and chili sauce.