Indonesia – Klepon
by Fauzan Anandika
Klepon is one of the traditional snacks from Southeast Asia. This snack can be found in some countries like Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore. Klepon is a green ball-shaped rice cake filled with palm sugar sauce, topped with grated coconut. It has a sweet taste with a rich and savory texture from the grated coconut and glutinous rice flour.
Even it popular in many countries in Southeast Asia, but there is a long history of Klepon from Java Island of Indonesia. In 1950 Klepon was introduced in the Netherlands by Indonesian immigrants. They start selling Klepon in the Netherlands, even they build shops to sell any kind of Indonesian snack. At that time, you can buy Klepon in the Indonesian store, restaurant, and supermarket all over the Netherlands.
In Indonesia, we eat Klepon at our break time in the morning or evening. And the good news is so easy to make this delicious snack, it only needs less than 30 minutes to make Klepon. Let’s go to the kitchen and make some Klepon.
In this recipe, you will make 40 pieces of Klepon with the ingredient below.
- 200 grams’ glutinous rice flour
- 25 grams’ sago flour
- 1 teaspoon lime betel
- 175 ml coconut milk from ¼ coconut
- 250 ml Suji leaves juice
- 10 sheet Suji leaves
- 1 sheet of Pandan leaves
- 80 gram smooth-grated palm sugar for the filling
- 150 grams’ rough grated coconut
- 2 sheet Pandan leaves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
How to cook
- First of all, let’s make the topping first. Mix all the topping ingredient grated coconut, Pandan leaves, and salt, stir well. Then steam with medium heat until 20 minutes.
- For the Klepon mix glutinous rice flour, sago flour water, and lime betel.
- Pour warm coconut milk slowly.
- Pour Suji leaves juice after the coconut milk.
- Keep stirring the dough until it is incorporated and you can’t feel any graininess.
- Flatten 1 teaspoon dough, then fill it with palm sugar.
- Make the dough into a ball shape then dip in boiled water.
- Wait until it floating. When it floating its means Klepon already well cooked.
- Pick and roll Klepon into the steamed grated coconut.
- Serve Klepon while it still warm.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!