Filipino – Pancit Guisado
by Hina Alam
BOUT THE DISH
Pancit Guisado is an Filipino noodle dish. It is made by using a special noodle called bihon which is cooked with chicken pieces, shrimps , some vegetables and soya sauce. These are all cooked together and give an incredible flavor which is loved by everyone. The words Pancit and Guisado have a different meaning separately. The word Pancit means to have a good life and Guisado basically indicates the style in which this dish is cooked. It is an excellent and healthy dish which is famous for birthday parties and special occasions. It is a total favorite as there are many stalls in the streets which sell these noodles and even in all the restaurants this dish is very common and is served there. It is incredibly easy to make and doesn’t require huge amounts of time as well. This dish is well renowned to the whole world and has a good place in the heart of the Philippines cuisine history.
The origin of this dish is in the Philippines. This is one of those dishes which came together when different cultural people came together to live in the Philippines. Noodles was not eaten in the Philippines until the Chinese people came here. They brought their own lifestyle and cooking methods which the people here adopted. This happened when the Spaniards took over the country so at this time there were about three different cultural people living in the Philippines and all had something to learn from each other. They adopted each other lifestyle and ways of cooking and tries to give their own spin to it. Due to which this dish was born and instantly became famous. There are many dishes which were born in those times but none compare to this one because of its wholeness.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE IT
- Cooking oil 4 tbsp.
- Pancit bihon 1/2 lb.
- Chicken 1/2 lb. (shredded)
- Shrimps 8 pieces
- Chinese sausage 2 pieces (chopped)
- Soy sauce 5 tbsps.
- Onion 1
- Garlic 5 cloves
- Carrots 3/4 cups (chopped)
- Cabbage 1/2 pieces (chopped)
- Celery (chopped)
- Long green beans 3/4 cups (chopped)
- Parsley 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Black pepper 1/4 tsp.
STEPS TO MAKE THE NOODLES
- Take a bowl and add some water in it.
- Place the noodles in the water and let it soak for 4-5 minutes.
- Then take out the noodles and set it aside
STEPS TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Take a large pan and add some oil in it and let it heat.
- Add the shrimps in it and cook them for about one minute.
- Once done then take it out and set it aside for later use.
- Add the onions in the pan along with the garlic.
- Cook them until brown color is formed.
- Add shredded chicken and the Chinese sausages in the pan.
- Add the celery as well.
- Add soya sauce over them and let it cook again for about 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley and carrots.
- Then add chopped cabbages and green beans.
- Cook for about 3 minutes and then add the noodles which we made earlier.
- Mix the noodles with everything and add some salt.
- Add the shrimps which we cooked earlier.
- Let it all cook for about 4 minutes and mix again.
- Take a bowl and serve all the noodles in it.
TIME NEEDED TO MAKE IT
- PREPERATION TIME : 10 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 20 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 30 minutes
- YIELDS : 6-7 servings
- Calories 212
- Cholesterol 21mg
- Protein 9g
- Total Fat 10g
- Total Carbohydrates 15g
- Dietary Fiber 3g
- Sodium 428mg
- Potassium 314mg
- Vitamin A 3%
- Vitamin C 35%
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!