Filipino – Bibingka
by Hina Alam
ABOUT THE DISH
Bibingka is a type of rice cake from Philippines. It is a very popular dish of the Filipino cuisine and has a very rich history. To make this cake firstly a batter is made which consists of eggs , sugar and flour all mixed together then baked in the over topped with cheese. It is an incredible breakfast dish and a wonderful way to start your day. In the homes of Filipino people this dish is very demanding as the children there like to eat this dish everyday before going to school. It is very rich with flavors and has a creamy texture which is mostly because of the batter. It is also very famous for the Christmas day as most of the time it is baked for an evening snack with coffee. It is traditionally enjoyed after the mass on Christmas day. In the early versions of this cake eggs were not used but later it became an essential ingredient.
In the 16th century the king of the Palawan sent gifts to the Spaniards. Among these gifts were kakanins baked on banana leaves. These treats were very common for the Filipino people in that time and they were very healthy for their diet as well. After this long era when the Americans were in control they set up educational institutes to help the children in learning about their local cuisines. Soon after the people started to think about the nutrition of the food, how much quantity is required to make it and many other things. After this the first known recipe came into existence of the Bibingka in the year 1904. In the early parts the dish took quite some time but soon after it became simple to everyone and became an celebratory feast on the Christmas day.
- BIBINGKA GALAPONG : In this version glutinous rice is used with coconut milk and water.
- BIBINGKA MALAGKIT : It uses jackfruit inside it along with rice and sugars.
- BIBINGKANG MANDAUE : This version of rice cake uses Tuba which is an type of wine.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE THE BATTER
- Glutinous rice flour 1 1/2 cup
- Eggs 2
- Rice flour 1/2 cup
- Baking powder 1 1/2 tbsp.
- Coconut milk 1 1/2 cup
- sugar 3/4 cup
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Melted butter 3 tbsp.
- BANANA LEAF ( MIXTURE WILL BE POURED INSIDE IT)
STEPS TO MAKE THE BATTER
- Take a bowl and 2 egg yolks in it.
- Add the given amount of sugar in the bowl.
- Whisk the bowl to combine the mixture.
- Once whisked add coconut milk in the bowl.
- Also add the given amount of melted butter in the bowl.
- Whisk again until the mixture is light,
- Add the given amount of glutinous rice , normal rice flour , baking powder and salt in the mixture.
- Whisk again until a light liquid is formed.
- Your batter is ready.
STEPS FOR AASSEMBLING AND BAKING
- Take a tray and place banana leaves in a mold.
- Pour the batter in all of the banana leaves mold.
- Sprinkle some cheese over the mixture.
- Put the tray in the oven and let it bake for 20-25 minutes at 190 C.
- Once the time is up take the tray out and and sprinkle some more cheese on the top and serve
- Your dish is ready
TIME REQUIRED TO MAKE IT
- PREPERATION TIME : 20 mins
- COOKING TIME : 25 mins
- TOTAL TIME : 45 mins
- YIELDS : 5-6 servings
- Calories 633
- Sugars 25 g
- Protein 11 g
- Fat 32 g
- Saturated fat 22 g
- Carbohydrates 78 g
- Dietary fiber 2 g
- Sodium 457 mg
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!