Filipino – Beef Kaldereta
by Hina Alam
ABOUT THE DISH
Kaldereta is a special Philippines beef stew made with tomato sauce and liver paste. In Philippines it is like an everyday dish, somewhere in the country someone is surely eating it. This dish very famous all around because of its simplicity and astounding flavors. It is very popular dish made on special occasions as well. It is considered to be the best Philippines stew dish. All the families enjoy this dish and it is served in every restaurant in the entire country.
When Spain took over the Philippines in the 1500s most of its people settled with the Filipinos. They started to adapt the rituals and techniques of these people and also showed their own skills and tricks to them. The people of Philippines learned this dish from the Spaniards and added their own twist in it. From then up till now this dish is being made exactly the same with some different variations out there as well. The Spaniards have an big influence on the Filipinos and their cuisines.
MEANING OF NAME
Kaldereta is an Spanish word which means cauldron. Like I have mentioned above this dish is inspired by the people of Spain and their style of cooking that is why it is named after the things the Spanish used in making their dishes.
- Kaldereta with Peanut Butter : In some parts of Philippines people use peanut butter instead of the liver paste in this dish.
- Kaldereta with Coconut Milk : Also outside of Philippines there are also variation of this dish made with coconut milk to give tropical flavors to this dish.
INGREDIENTS REQUIRED TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Beef cubed 2 lbs.
- oil 1/4 cup
- Tomato sauce 1 cup
- Liver paste ½ cup
- beef broth 2 cups
- garlic cloves 3
- onion 1
- Potatoes 2 cups (sliced)
- Carrots 2 cups (sliced)
- Sliced red, green bell pepper
- Bay leaves 2
- Salt ,Pepper
STEPS TO PREPARE THIS DISH
- Take a pot and add the given amount of olive oil in it and let it heat.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic in the pot and sauté it.
- Add the sliced beef cubes in the pot.
- Add the liver paste and some bay leaves in the pot.
- Add the tomato sauce in the pot and let it cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Add the beef stock in the pot and let it simmer
- Once the beef is soft add the potatoes and carrots in the pot .
- Also add the red and green peppers and cook for 5-7 minutes more.
- Add pinch of salt and pepper in the end
- Your dish is made and ready to serve.
TIME NEEDED TO MAKE THIS DISH
- PREPERATION TIME: 10 minutes
- COOKING TIME : 45-55 minutes
- TOTAL TIME : 1 hour 5 minutes
- YIELDS : 4-5 Servings
- CALORIES 590kcal
- PROTEIN 30g
- FAT 41g
- CARBOHYDRATES 22g
- CHOLESTEROL 105mg
- SUGAR 6g
- FIBER 5g
- SODIUM 907mg
- CALCIUM 92mg
- VITAMIN C 67mg
My recommendation has always been fair and when I say that it is an incredible dish to eat and make I am telling the truth. It is one of those dishes which are rich in history and also in flavor. It is an true delight to eat. You can ask any Filipino about this dish and what it means to their culture they will tell you with pure heart. It is one of those dishes which are incredibly healthy and can be eaten at any event. Eat it with your family members and the moment will be worthwhile. I mean it.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!