by Hina Alam
ABOUT THE DISH
Arroz caldo is an Filipino rice porridge style dish which is made by cooking chicken and rice together with onions, garlic, ginger and pepper. During serving other condiments like half boiled egg and other garnishes are added in this dish to give it more taste and a beautiful feel. It is another one of those classis Filipino dishes which has a rich historical background and a huge fan following. It is referred to as a comfort food which can be eaten at any point of day and it is very easy to make at home. There are many restaurants in the Philippines which sell this dish and at home it is very popular among the children. Philippines have many stew and porridge style dishes in its many list of cuisines and each dish has its own flavor and identity. Ginger is the main flavor which can be found in this dish as it is a combination with chicken and it really elevates the dish more. There are many other variations of this dish and it all depends on the region where it is cooked. In some regions beef or pork is used into making it but there are technically not more tasty than the original version which include the chicken.
MEANING OF NAME
Arroz Caldo is derived from two words and these words are from the Spanish heritage. Arroz means “rice” and Caldo means “broth” when combined together they make this dish. Spain has an huge influence on this dish because it was made when Spain was ruling over the Philippines.
ORIGIN AND HISTORY
As explained above this dish is of the Spanish heritage and a mix of Chinese as well. In the late of 19th century Spanish colonial was still ruling over the Philippines. During this time many people learned the traits and culture of the Spanish people. Like many other dishes this dish was also made through the combination of the Filipino food and the Spanish. The Filipinos were not the only ones taking notes from the Spaniards. There were also some Chinese people living in the Philippines at that time. Once the reign was over they migrated back to their country and opened restaurants of their own. They introduced their own version of Arroz caldo named Lugawan. It was the Chinese who added the boiled egg in their dish and this was copied by the Filipinos and since then this has become an tradition for this dish.
It is also said when the reign was about to end in the Philippines this dish became very popular there. A writer explains that the Spanish power was ending at that point and when they asked to eat this dish instead of chicken thighs which is mostly used in this dish they were served with chicken heads. This was a showing that they are not in control over the Philippines and their reign will soon end.
There are many variations of this dish in different regions of Philippines. They are as follows.
- CHICKEN POSPAS : This dish is a famous dish in the Visayan region and it is considered to be an equal to Arroz caldo.
- ARROZ CALDONG PALAKA : This is an rare version of Arroz caldo in which frog legs are used instead of chicken.
- VEGAN ARROZ CALDO : In this mushrooms are used and it is for the vegans.
- GOTO : It is considered same as Arroz caldo but there is less ginger used in it which is a big difference from Arroz caldo and also it used beef tripe in it.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE IT
- Chicken thighs
- Ginger (minced)
- Onion 1 (chopped)
- Garlic 3 cloves (minced)
- Fish sauce 2 tbsp.
- Glutinous rice 1 cup
- Bouillon powder
STEPS TO MAKE THIS DISH
- Take a pan over a medium heat and add oil in it.
- Add the chopped onions, ginger and garlic in the pan.
- Add your chicken pieces in the pan.
- Let it cook until a brown color is formed on both chicken and the other stuff.
- Add the fish sauce and mix.
- Add the rice in the pan.
- Add water in the pan and let them simmer.
- Add salt and pepper and the bouillon mix,
- Mix everything.
- Let it cook for about 40 minutes.
- Once done take another pan and add oil in it.
- Add some pieces of garlic in it and cook them until brown.
- Once done then it is the time for plating.
- Take a soup bowl and add the chicken and rice porridge in it.
- Add an half boiled egg in it.
- Also add some garnish.
- Lastly add the cooked garlic over it.
- Your dish is ready.Enjoy
TIME NEEDED TO MAKE IT
PREPERATION TIME : 10 minutes
COOKING TIME : 45 minutes
TOTAL TIME : 55 minutes
YIELDS : 1-2 servings
Total Fat 46g
Total Carbohydrates 39g