by David Smith
What is hummus?
Hummus is a spread, dip and basically a sauce which is originated in Egypt and spread all over the world especially Arab countries such as UAE and many more. A traditional hummus is made from chickpeas, paprika and garlic etc and eaten with pit bread as a dip.
Origination and history
There are various theories about hummus telling us from where it came but mostly, hummus is considered as a part of Egyptian cuisine and also as it is originated in 13th century.
Types of hummus
There are many varieties of hummus nowadays, some are following:
- Chocolate hummus
- Cauliflower hummus
- Red pepper hummus
- Roasted beet hummus
- Hummus with herbs
Chocolate hummus is a kind of hummus made up of cocoa powder and chickpeas etc. It’s a perfect and classic spread and dip for fresh fruits. This brown coloured hummus has a very creamy texture and sweet taste that helps to enhance the taste of everything. Chocolate hummus is mainly eaten with pancakes, fresh fruits, crepes, dried fruits and toasts. It takes only 5 minutes to make this delicious creamy chocolate hummus.
Recipe of hummus
- Chickpeas (drained) = 2 cans
- Milk = half cup
- Salt = 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract = 2 teaspoons
- Maple syrup = half cup
- Cocoa powder = half cup
- Nut butter = half cup
- Take a blender and add all the ingredients in it. Now, wait until it blended smoothly.
- Try some and if you want it to be more sweet, just add some maple syrup. If the texture is too thick, you can add some milk in it to make it smooth.
- Chocolate hummus is ready to be served.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Servings: 9 servings
Calories: 260 kcal
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Protein: 9 grams
Fat: 9 grams
Important tips for ingredients
- Any kind of milk can be used in this dish but if you use almond milk, it’ll be better.
- You can also use unsweetened cocoa powder in this dish because maple syrup will make it sweet.
- You can use raw chickpeas and soak in water overnight. You will get same results with it.
How to store?
This recipe serves 9 people and if you are only 2 or 3 people, you can also store it by following ways:
- If you want to store it, just pack it in a sealed container and put it in a fridge for 1 week
- If you want to freeze it for long time, you can also do this. As mentioned above, pack it in sealed container and freeze it. You can freeze it for 1-2 months.
This chocolate hummus has a right amount of sweetness, it is not overly sweet. So, eat it comfortably.