by Verdzekov Bernard
Salad Bichakala is a kind of salad made in Cameroon and mostly in restaurants. This salad is made like any other salad, but this one is different in that, chopped chicken is added to it. The cream use is not sweet, thick and you could get the taste of mayonnaise so well. To be honest this is the only salad I didn’t like. But will write about it because many other people enjoyed it.
I took a friend out to have dinner, she ordered for Salad bichakala, I did same. Before we were served, directly opposite us was this guy that was eating salad bichakala, I knew the dinner will be great because that was my first time to eat that. When we were served, my friend began eating immediately, I went for a bite. After taking the first, and second, I denied eating or going further. She tried to encourage me how rich the dish was, that didn’t still move. So, I told the waitress to prep the dish rather for a take-away. While she did, my friend ate has. All of it. The guy that sat next to us had eating his and was done with. When I brought it home, my brother ate it and loved it.
That was when I discovered the problem is from me. I didn’t just like the taste of it. I don’t have a picture of it, but I will give you a guide on how it could be prepared, you could picture it and you will come up with a positive end result. Salad bichakala is like any other salad, just that chicken is added to it.
In this article, I will be writing about two types of Cameroon salad, made and eating in Cameroon. I love and eat the second I will write about. This doesn’t mean the first is bad. It didn’t just go for me. The second I will write about has more ingredient than the first to.
- White cabbage
- Red cabbage
- Fried finely chopped chicken
- Vegetable oil
- Finely chop you cabbage. Keep aside
- Shred your carrot and Chop your pear keep aside
- Using a deep small bowl, put mayonnaise and vegetable oil, about half a glass, pinch of salt to take and whisk thoroughly. When it is fully blended, mix your red and white cabbage together with your pear and carrot, add your chopped chicken slices, add mayonnaise and serve with some slices of bread.
THE SECOND: Normal Cameroonian Salad.
- Red or purple cabbage
- Sugar or salt
- Boiled Eggs
- Condensed milk
- Chop your onions keep aside
- Shred your carrot and keep aside
- Chop your pear in small square shapes and keep aside
- Chop your cabbage and keep aside.
- Chop your tomatoes in ring shapes
- Boil your eggs, remove and chop in ring shape keep aside.
- Prep your cream. With 5 spoons of mayonnaise or even 7 depending on the quantity of salad you are making, combine with milk, vinegar and sugar and whisk until smooth. Normally some people use salt, but I prefer sugar.
- Put all your ingredients on a plate and mix, pour cream and eat.
- Most at times, I usually put all ingredients on a large stray, placing White cabbage separate from white, shredded carrot on one end, onions, if I added lettuces, it will be on one end, cucumber on one end. This is how salad is often dressed during occasions. Ingredients are not just mixed it will look presentable.
- The salad is served with bread.