Cameroon – Kwikwi Red Soup With Waterfufu
by Wirba Brice Divine Ransinyuy
Kwikwi red soup with waterfufu is a delicious meal cooked by the Mamfe inhabitants. The food is being cooked by inhabitants for its richness in mineral resources and also in starch especially the red oil which is made out of palm kennel, a rich resource that is found in this locality. As such, due to the availability of these resources, the Mamfe inhabitants take pleasure as it has become a nature there in the cooking of Kwikwi red soup. Moreover, the Kwikwi red soup is highly naturally in the cooking as everything is being preserved in the cooking, apart from the red oil transformation that takes place in order to prepare the food in the best of ways. The local cuisine permitting us to travel is taking us to the Mamfe locality. A locality situated in the SouthWest region of Cameroon, made up of hills and valleys, giving the impression that Mamfe is found in a basin. Still, the Mamfe located, is being bordered by Nigeria, precisely the Calabar region and Cameroon, precisely, Buea, the capital of the SouthWest region.
The Kwikwi red soup with waterfufu is being prepared by mixing and boiling
- A bottle of red oil
- Half bag of Kwikwi leaves
- Water leaves
- Red pepper
- Yellow pepper
- Salt to taste
- Maggi to taste
- Maggi crevette to taste
- Cut the Kwikwi leaves into small parts
- After cutting the leaves, go straight to the washing of the leaves
- After washing, preserve in a clean environment like on clean bowl or tray
- Cut the water leaves and cut into small parts
- Having done this, wash it thoroughly removing any dirt or unwanted substance
- Warm up the crayfish by placing it on the lid of a pot
- Cut the canda into smaller parts, then wash. After washing, boilit for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Having gathered all the ingredients together, begin in the cooking of the food.
- Into the pot, throw in the kwikwi leaves and the water leaves at the same time. When you do, this, immediately throw into the pot the crayfish, the boiled canda, the red pepper and also the yellow pepper. The last things to throw into the pot is the red oil, the salt, maggi and maggi crevette at the same moment.
- When you must have put all the ingredients together, mix them very well. Take like 5 minutes in order for it to be mixed very well, making sure that all the ingredients stick together and the red oil penetrates very well into them all.
- Make sure to put like a half bottle of oil into the pot.
- When you do this, allow the food on fire for a period of thirty minutes, for it to boil very well and get ready appropriately. Though from time to time, ensure to be checking your pot so as not to allow the food to boil and become dry, making it to burn.
- After thirty minutes on fire, your food is ready.
See picture below;
Go next to the preparation of the waterfufu
- Put like four to five cups of water on fire
- When the water is about to boil, with the use of your pistle, throw in the waterfufu into the boiling water and begin to stir.
- Stir till the waterfufu begins to become like soft or hard paste. When the paste is hard, add water so as to soften it. Other wise, when the paste is soft, stir it for it to become hard.
- Though, depending on your taste, you could still decide to allow it to be hard or soft. The mximum time you can use in the cooking of the waterfufu is thirty minutes. 15 minutes in the boiling of the water and 15minutes in the turning of the waterfufu.
See picture below;
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!