Cameroon – Irish Potatoes Hot Pot
by Nghonazie Annabel
Irish potatoes hot pot is a delicious hot dish as the name says. This meal is so delicious in such a way that each time it’s mentioned or your mother tells you that the menu for the day is Irish potatoes hot put, your smiling hormones will be activated right away and saliva will fill your mind until that meal is resting in the stomach. Here in Cameroon, irish potatoes is common in the north west region that is from Banso , Santa, Ndop etc. it is also cultivated in the west region precisely in the Dschang area. However it has been proven that Irish potatoes from Banso is the best so far as it is dry, sweet, healthy and plentiful. Irish potatoes hot pot is a delicious meal which can be seen on tables in big occasions like wedding ceremony, baptism, to name a few. This meal also requires a lot of time to prepare as the time of cooking is long due to the fact that the spicing and processes are much. Although it takes time and a lot of processes, it’s worth sacrificing the time as the meal is dam delicious.
The cooking method for Irish potatoes hot pot includes: boiling, frying, parboiling, stewing and steaming.
- A good quantity of irish potatoes, like half a bucket of it
- A kilogram of chicken meat
- 10 large tomatoes
- 2 large onions
- Garlics and njinja
- A small bundle of green spices
- 1 large green beans
- 5 large carrots
- A handful of green beans
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper,
- Grain de riz
- 1 liter groundnut oil
- Seasoning cubes
- Maggie and salt to taste
- Steam chicken for like 20 minutes and put aside
- Blend all the spices and put aside
- Slice tomatoes and onions and keep
- Chop carrots into beautiful shapes and cut the green beans and keep
- Slice green spices and green pepper and put aside
- Peel irish potatoes, wash and parboil for about 30 minutes. When it’s ready, remove and put on a flat tray
- Put groundnut oil in a put and fry the Irish small quantity at a time until it’s finished. Make sure the color is golden brown to make it more attractive to the eyes
- Using the same oil fry the chicken too. When the frying process is over, remove the oil and drain and put the clean oil in a different pot and take to the fire
- Put sliced tomatoes, onions, green spices and green pepper and stir until its well fried
- Add the blended spices and stir
- Add Maggie and salt to taste
- Add small quantity of water and the stock from the steamed chicken and cover and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- When the stew is ready and the water have dried up, add the irish potatoes and stir
- Add carrot and green beans together with the chicken and stir well
- Allow to cook for like 5 minute
- Remove from the fire and serve
- Irish potatoes hot pot is ready
- Serve hot because it’s good to eat it hot alongside some natural juice.
- Bonne appetite
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!