Cameroon – Irish Potatoes and Red Beans
by Nghonazie Annabel
Irish potatoes and red beans is a delicious and nutritive dish from the combination of boiled Irish potatoes and fried red beans. This delicious meal originated from the west region of Cameroon especially from the inhabitants of Dschange, Mbuda and Mbacham. It is a low income meal and it’s also delicious and very nutritive. Most people prepare this meal because it has a lot of accompaniments. Like for example if Irish potatoes and beans is prepared today, it can be eaten for a day and half. Should the Irish potatoes finishes the rest of the beans can be eaten with maybe rice, dodo, plantains and coco yams. If the beans happens to get finish before the Irish potatoes, the remaining Irish potatoes can be eaten can be eaten with fried eggs or stew. Irish potatoes and beans is a two way dish. If one gets tired of eating this combination, it can be turned into pounded potatoes and beans which is also a delicacy loved by many. To coin it, Irish potatoes and beans is a low income meal and can be eaten differently and with different accompaniments.
The method used for cooking Irish potatoes and beans is frying for beans and boiling for irish potatoes
- Half a bucket of irish potatoes
- 5 cups of red beans
- Fresh tomatoes
- Groundnut oil
- Green spices
- Dry fish
- Maggi and salt to taste
- Peel Irish potatoes, wash and boil. Remove and put in a thermos flask
- Wash beans and put in a pot. Add 5 liters of water and allow to boil and cook for 2-3 hours
- Wash all the spices and grind
- Slice tomatoes and onion and keep
- Slice of the leaks and grind spices and keep
- Select fish, wash and keep.
- When the beans is ready, remove and rinse with clean water and put in a colander for the water to drain out
- Put groundnut oil in the pot and allow to get abit hot
- Put tomatoes and onions and fry well until it is done
- Add the leaks and green spices and stir
- Put the grind spices, fish and Cray fish
- Now add the beans to the mixture in the pot and stir well
- Add just small quantity of water, add maggi and salt and cover the pot.
- Allow to cook for 15-20 minutes
- Remove and serve in a plate
- Also serve the boiled Irish potatoes in a different plate or in the same plate, most people love it served in one plate.
Enjoy your meal. Eat bellyful and drink a glass of water and some fruits.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!