by Verdzekov Bernard
Akara is a cuisine in Cameroon most people have eating. This particular cuisine I often call it, the breakfast cuisine. This is because, it is mostly eating during breakfast in Cameroon. This cuisine is either eating with bread and pap or it is eating empty. Akara is made from pealed beans seeds. The Akara nature is in such a way that if it is your first time of eating it, you won’t or may not know it is made from beans. This is rich in proteins still.
In Cameroon, this is so important because it is a low-cost cuisine. With one hundred francs you could get four fried Akara. Reasons being that, Cameroon is rich in beans. Beans is grown nearly everywhere in Cameroon even at the back yard of our home. Many people fry Akara for business purposes. They fry and sell around hospitals, around market places and around schools and if not all, most people buy it. It is food. It a good accompaniment to drink tea with bread or drink pap with. Pap is made from corn. if you already ask question.
With pepper, Akara is so delicious to be eating empty still. Most of the cuisines I write on, most people don’t know about them, and even if they know, the may not be capable of preparing it. So, go through the instructions properly so that you will be able to come up with a delicious fried Akara.
- Salt to taste
- Baking soda
- Pepper (optional)
- Oil for frying
- 2-3 cups of peeled beans
- Put beans in a blender with 1 cup of water and blend.
- Pure the mixture into a bowl and mixed well using a whisk or using a round wooding spoon, you mix.
- After this put oil into a deep pan. The oil should be sufficient, and stand on heat so that it starts to heat up.
- Add your salt to taste, chopped pepper if you want, onions and baking soda. Mix well.
- Using a saucer or cooking spoon, depending also on the sizes you want, scope into the mixtures and put into the heated oil. Do like that until the fry pan is full. Allow for 5min then you turn.
- If trying to turn the Akara is complicsted using the cooking spoon, use a wooden small spoon. Touching the urge of the frying Akra, touching it downwards will make it flip in the oil. Do like that for all until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve the Akara with pap, or tea for those that will want it that way. Others may love it with bread.