by Bob Huyu
A cuisine from Burkina Faso called Ragout d’igname, a mix of yam and ingredients to give a forever taste. Burkina Faso is located in western Africa being bordered by Mali to the north, Niger to the east, and Ghana and Benin to the south.
There is a lot to speak about Burkina Faso especially in cuisines, but let’s stick with Ragout d’igname.
Yam mixed with vegetables like tomatoes, onions, carrots and spices, is cooked until yam becomes tender, served warm to enjoy the taste. Others do mix it with meat, it can be chicken meat, goat or cow meat.
The good thing is that Ragout d’igname ingredients can be found almost anywhere in the country, making it the most consumed and loved cuisine. It is also cheap when cooked except when mixed with meat which is somehow cost some depending on the type of it. Otherwise welcome to prepare the Ragout d’igname cuisine from Burkina Faso.
Prepare the following
- 1 big yam
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/4 kg of beef
- 2 onions
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 1/2 tea spoon cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper powder (for taste)
- 1 big carrot
- 1 green pepper
- 2 teaspoons of butter.
- Peel yam and cut into small box shaped pieces.
- Wash tomatoes, carrot, green pepper then put into clean plate.
- Chop meat into the sized pieces (according to you), wash and put into a clean plate.
- Boil meat for 20 minutes, serve both meat and soup into a bowl.
- In the cooking pan, start to fry onions and garlic, then followed with onions after 2 minutes of onions frying.
- Add yams and fry along for 1-2 minutes.
- Add meat into the mix, followed by all other ingredients remained on top of meat.
- Put meat soup and water to about a half of the mix (don’t cover the mix).
- Add salt and taste. Boil for about 30 minutes less, keep observing food from burn.
- Check to see whether you’ll need to add more soup or it’s enough, put off heat and serve warm on plates.
If you cooked without any meat in, the process is very same and you may need to have a side meat or fish for the complete taste, enjoy.