Brunei – Belutak Sausage
by Fauzan Anandika
Sausage is one of the favorite food in the world. Everyone loves eating sausage, from children to adults, loves to eat sausage in various meals. Hotdog, pizza, or soup are the most favorite dish using sausage as an ingredient. The term sausage comes from the Roman language means salted and preserved. According to history, processing meat into sausage has become a way to preserved meat. The sausage was firstly made by the Sumerian (now Iraq) in 300 BC. Sausage use different kinds of meat such as beef, pork, and chicken. Afterward, the sausage becomes famous with German as a reference to make sausage. For Germany, eating sausage becomes their primary food. There is 1.200 kind of sausage eaten in Germany. Sausage use various meat as its bases. To make sausage, Germany uses beef, chicken, and pork. It is pretty easy to cook sausage, and the taste also fits many kinds of food.
Sausage spread all around the world and has become an ingredient for many kinds of food. Brunei is one of the countries in Southeast Asia, known as a small but wealthy country. Brunei has various tradition and culinary, they also have a dish use sausage as the main ingredient named Belutak. As a Muslim country, Brunei people only use the halal ingredient to prepare their dish. To make Belutak, they use beef as the sausage ingredient.
That beef sausage processed using various spices and traditional seasoning from Brunei. Belutak has a flavourful taste that you don’t want to miss. Serve with chili sauce this brown sausage suit for your daily snack. Brunei people cook Belutak using a hot chargrill or deep fry it with medium heat.
When visiting Brunei, tourists can buy Belutak as a gift, and it can be lasting for 20 days when frozen. But if you haven’t visited Brunei, making Belutak on your own is also easy. Let’s try to make some Belutak with anything we can find in the grocery store.
- 500-gram beef
- 1 tablespoon fried shallot
- 1 tablespoon fried garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2 egg
- 4 tablespoon corn-starch
- ½ onion rough cut
- 3 red paprika, diced cut
- 3 green paprika, cut into dice shape
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking oil
How to cook sausage
- Grind all the ingredients with a food processor until becoming smooth dough.
- Put the dough in a piping bag. Cut the tip.
- Press the dough into the sausage casing.
- Compact it until there are no bubbles in the casing. If there still bubbles, prick with a needle.
- Boil water in a pot.
- After the water boil, turns off the stove and put sausage in it. Place until 40 minutes.
- Wait until cold, remove the plastic, and store it in the refrigerator.
How to cook the sauce
- Stir cooking oil, garlic, and onion with medium heat.
- Stir until the gift of ascent.
- Add sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce, tomato sauce, chili sauce, salt, and add up some water. Stir slowly until soak.
- Add black pepper, red paprika, green paprika, and salt. Adjust the taste.
- Add sausage stir for 2 minutes.
- Place it on a serving plate.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!