Pakistani – Traditional Drink Sardai
By Dahiza Umar
Pakistan’s famous drinks are lassi, sattu, sardai, fasla ka sharbat and many more.
They are refreshing especially in summers when temperature goes to 45 to 50 degree Celsius. Small stalls of these cold drinks are found everywhere during summers is packed of nutritional values.
In Punjab, Pakistan people starts their day by having a glass of lassi full of rich milk, yogurt and some sugar.
SARDAI IN PAKISTAN
Sardai is also known as thandai in many places of Pakistan.
This drink have great tradition in the era of mughal. This drink is also know here as ‘’SHAHI DRINK’’ because this is rich of flavour and the ingredients used in it having separate fan base here.
It is actually milk having paste of dry fruits sugar that cooked on low heat to enhance the flavour.
- Milk 4 glasses
- Soaked Almonds 20
- Poppy seeds 40grams
- Pistachio half cup
- Green cardamom 6-7
- Sugar half cup
- Walnuts half cup
- Kishmish ( dried grapes) 4-5 tablespoons
- Black pepper 4-5
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- White sesame seeds 2 tablespoon
- Mixed melon seeds (charmaghz) 2 tablespoon
- First of all soak all the dry fruits like almonds, pistachio, walnuts, kishmish a night before
- Now peal them and drain the water add into blender and grind into thick paste while adding little water to make the consistency.
- Add milk into the pan with this paste, black pepper, cumin, sugar, seeds and put into low flame
- Stir after 5 minutes, it may burn from the bottom
- Check the consistency, it is rich but not thick like any dessert. Turn off the flame
- Stain it from the soft cloth (mulmul ka kapra) and let it chilled in refrigerator
- Garnished it with desired nuts and served chilled
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!