by Dahiza Umar
KARAHI is a thick and deep cooking vessel utensil also known as WOK.
In Pakistan, this utensil is used specially to make karahi dish and the name of dish is said that as chicken karahi or mutton karahi because it is cook in this utensil.
ABOUT THE DISH
‘’Karahi curry literally refers to any curry cooked in a karahi’’
Karahi also used to describe gravy or curry. It has not a runny consistency but has sticky nature because it is first cooked and than fried by adding any meat of your choice.
This dish is simple simple with just few ingredients.
BACKGROUND OF DISH
It is originated from Indian subcontinent but now it is included in national cuisine of Pakistan and also in North India. It is made in every province of Pakistan by adding their regional spices.
Punjab it is made in desi ghee and very traditional ingredients is used and they use organic meat like organic chicken not broilers.
WHITE KARAHI IN PAKISTAN
This dish is a famous dish of ethnic pashtun tribe known as SHINWARI. It is a brand sort of thing they have highway dhabas and very popular in northern areas of Pakistan. They served high quality meat cooked in their known style. They usually have lamb and dumba in their menus, dishes like sulemani karahi, namkeen gosht, shinwari dumba karahi is worth having in the plate.
- 1 kg lamb
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 tablespoon butter
- salt – to taste.
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 cup fresh cream
- Garlic paste 2 tbsp
- Ginger paste 2 tbsp
- Green chilies paste 4 tbsp
- 1½ piece ginger – , thickly grated
- 2 green chilies sliced
- 1 lemon – sliced in wedges
- Heat oil in a wok/ karahi, add lamb and oil and fry it until the color changes of chicken to brownish golden
- Than add green chilies paste, ginger and garlic paste and fry it with lamb until the fragrance appears.
- Now add about 1 liter of water and salt. Let it cook for half hour on medium heat.
- Meat should be cooked very nice. It is tendered enough. Now see if the water is dried add black pepper and cumin and fry it for a while.
- Now its time to add yogurt.
- After adding yogurt let it put for 15 minutes on dum (low heat with lid covered)
- Before 5 minutes of the dish completion add cream and cover it again
- Dish is ready, garnish it with ginger, chilies and butter on the top
- It is dry so people here used to eat it alone with some sauce or raita
- Some eat it with naan and chapati.
- Preparation time is about 2 hours
- Cooking time is 30 minutes
- Serving 4 persons
- Cuisine : khyber pakhtoon khawan, Pakistan