Pakistan – Dahi Bary / Dahi Bhallay / Dahi Vada
by Dahiza Umar
INTRODUCTION TO THE DISH
This dish has three names as given in the title Dahi Bhallay, Dahi baray, Dahi vada. Dahi is basically YOGURT. This dish is a snack it has yogurt in which these small round flat balls are served. These balls have different names like BHALLA, BARA, VADA. This is made up of chickpea flour, make a paste, and deep-fried.
This is a portion of very popular street food in Pakistan. It is so simple and tasty so it is served in every corner of Pakistan. It is a snack type that originated and is now popular in many regions of Asia, especially in PAKISTAN, INDIA.
DAHI is known as yogurt in Urdu and it is the main ingredient of the dish with the second component BHALLAY, fried balls made up of some lentils and chickpea paste, fried and they added to the yogurt that is spiced up by flavors like tamarind sauce and mint sauce, and chat masala, some vegetables, etc.
STREET FOOD OF PAKISTAN
During the month of fasting, Ramzan in which Muslims, without eating spend the whole day and when its time to eat, DAHI BHALLAY must be part of the menu.
There are so many stores, hawkers in the street having this snack. They have all the components on separate bowls. So when they have to serve, they mix all the things and present to the customer.
COMPONENTS OF DAHI BHALLAY
- sweet and salty yogurt
- Bhallay ( soaked in water after frying )
- mint sauce
- tamarind sauce
- Green Chili sauce
- potato boiled
- small pakoriyan
- salad, onions, tomatoes, cucumber
- Boiled white whole chickpeas
- chat masala
Yogurt kept slightly salty and sweet, it is not too much thick or thin. This is the base of the snack in which all the other elements have to add on. Other spices and sauce have a very extreme taste so yogurt is plain and white in color. So when many sauces are added they get diffuse and enjoy each flavor.
Bhallay are basically, small fried balls, they are made with white chickpea flour and mung bean paste. The mung beans are soaked in water the night before. Then it turned into a paste and mixed with chickpea flour with some salt and other herbs. This thick paste is fried in deep oil, then soaked in water for sogginess.
Mint sauce is very refreshing and has a fresh taste like mint. It is added for a nice and fresh aroma to the snack and also for the color. Green on white looks very good.
Tamarind sauce is made for the tangy and sourness of the snack. This is made by boiling tamarind in sugar, and red chili powder then seeds are removed and serve when cool down.
GREEN CHILI SAUCE
Green chili sauce is made by adding salt, green chilies, coriander and blend them together with some water if required. This is the spicy kick to snacks.
This salad is usually small chunks size pieces of vegetables
- Boiled potato
- Boiled chickpea
- Chaat masala
- Crisps ( fried papadum )
ORIGIN OF THE DISH
This simple tasty and yummy snack is originated from the Indian subcontinent the Punjab region and now famous in Pakistan and India and also included in the national snack.
- Preparation time : 10 minutes
- cooking time : 30 minutes
- Total time : 40 minutes
- Calories : 300
- Carbohydrates : 60 grams
- Protein : 19 grams
- Fat : 10 grams
- gram flour : 1 cup
- soaked yellow lentils : 1/2 cup
- soaked red lentils : 1/2 cup
- salt : 1 tsp
- cumin seeds : 1 tbsp
- Baking soda : 1/2 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Take both lentils yellow and red and soaked them over night and next day just blend it into the paste.
- Now add gram flour and water to make a thick paste of it now mix both two paste together and add salt cumin and baking soda into it.
- Let it set for half hour so the baking soda activated and the paste size doubled and become airy.
- Now take a lump of paste with the help of spoon or hands and fry this balls into warm oil on medium flame for 5 minutes or until they get crispy and dark golden in color.
- Now when all the bhallas are formed, let them soaked in the luke warm water for 20 minutes so the get spongy and soft.
INGREDIENTS FOR MINT SAUCE
- Mint : 1 bunch
- coriander : 1 bunch
- green chilies : 3
- Salt : 1/4 tsp
- Garlic clove : 2
In a blender add all the ingredients and just give it a mix and by adding little water make it into a normal consistency paste.
INGREDIENTS OF TAMARIND SAUCE
- Tamarind : 1 cup
- salt : 1/4 tsp
- red chilies : 1 tsp
- plum : 1 cup
- In a pot add tamarind with all other ingredients and half glass of water and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- When the paste get thick enough let it cool and blend into the paste.
- sliced onions
- chopped tomatoes
- green chilies
- boiled potatoes
- slices cabbage
- boiled chickpea
ASSEMBLING OF ALL COMPONENTS
On a plate add soaked bhallas with salad and all the sauces and at last, add plain yogurt into it and served by adding chat masala on the top.
CUISINE : ASIAN, PAKISTAN
COURSE : SNACK, STREET FOOD
SERVINGS: 4 TO 6 PERSON
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!