ABOUT THE DISH
Aloo Methi is an all time classic dish of the Punjab region. It is a dish consisting of aloo ( Potatoes) fried within different spices and then it is finished off by adding the methi ( Fenugreek) into it. The flavor of this dish is so vibrant and good that it cannot be explained through words. Methi add so much freshness into its taste and if you eat it with a sauce of any kind that you can easily enhance its flavor. It is typically eaten with an homemade roti and is a lovable dish in any home whether it is in Pakistan or in India.
If we take a look at the all time best Punjabi dishes then we will find this dish among the top ones. Aloo methi is an household dish that doesn’t require many sophisticated ingredients to make it. It is simple and is swiftly made. In all of Punjab and even other regions now it is one the favorite dishes. From very early days the cultivation of Methi was very high and its quality was also incredible that is why it was used in different dishes because it added a whole new dimension to the dish.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE IT
- OIL 4 tbsp.
- POTATOES ( Cut in cubes)
- FENUGREEK 4 cups
- Chopped garlic 1 tsp
- Chopped ginger 1 tsp
- Red chilies 2
- Green chilies 1 tsp
- Asafetida ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder ½ tsp
STEPS TO MAKE IT
- In order to make aloo methi we first need to prepare the methi ( fenugreek)
- Take the given amount of fenugreek in a bowl and sprinkle some salt on it.
- Mix the salt gently and set the bowl aside for 10-5 minutes.
- After 10 minutes take the fenugreek from the bowl and squeeze it to release the water.
- Do this with all the fenugreek and put it aside for later use.
- Now we will prepare our potatoes.
- Take a pan and add the given amount of oil in it and let it heat.
- Now add cumin seeds in it and also asafetida and stir them.
- After this add the given amount of garlic , ginger and both red and green chilies in the pan.
- Stir for about 10-20 seconds and then add turmeric powder and also coriander powder in the pan and like same before stir it.
- After this add your potatoes in the pan and let it cook for 5-8 minutes to soften them and giving them a brown color.
- Once the potatoes are soft add the fenugreek inside the pan and add some coriander powder along with some salt over it and mix it.
- Let them cook for 5 minutes and then take it off from the heat.
- Your dish is ready to serve
- PREPERATION TIME : 20 mins
- COOKING TIME : 10 mins
- TOTAL TIME : 45 mins
- SERVINGS : 5-6 persons
- Calories 258
- Protein 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Total Fat 14.3g
- Sodium 873 mg
- Potassium 582 mg
- Carbohydrates 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Vitamin A 2.6 %
- Vitamin B 19.1 %
- Vitamin C 51.8 %
Aloo Methi is a dish which has both benefits and deficits. If we look at the bright side it helps a person in digesting food and it helps the bones as well. It is also said it helps the eyesight of a person. But if we look at the dark side it requires oil and has oily nature in the dish which is not good for the human heart and it is nor recommended to eat it everyday.
MY OWN RECOMMENDATION
Healthy or not this dish is one of my favorite dishes to eat. Its flavor is just so immense if eaten with homemade roti that you cannot stop. Because of its simplicity and use of basic ingredients it is so popular and everywhere in the sub continent different varieties of this dish is made. So if you ask me I would recommend everyone to try it once in their lives because it is worth it.