Zimbabwe – DOVI (Peanut Butter Stew)
by Bob Huyu
Among the best loved dishes in Zimbabwe is DOVI (Peanut Butter Stew).
Zimbabwe is located in southern Africa, largely occupied by Shona and Ndebele tribes. Dovi is a stew containing peanut butter in large, though it normally comprises of different vegetables or meat mix.
This dish is significant to people’s health as it brings proteins and vitamins both from meat, peanut butter and vegetables.
We are going to prepare this dish with chicken meat, so get prepared to try this new taste, welcome.
- 2 hand bunches of spinach
- 1/2 chicken meat. (remove bones)
- 6 tea spoons of peanut butter
- 2 bulb onions
- 2 big carrots
- pepper powder
- 2 peppers
- garlic well grinned (about 2 tea spoons)
- 3 tomatoes
- 5 okras
- cooking oil
Preparation and cooking process is ranging between 30 -50 minutes, depending on ones speed and accuracy in cooking.
We will start to prepare spinach first then Dovi as whole;
- Wash well spinach to remove dust, chop into small size pieces then put in a clean plate.
- Take one bulb onion and chop it tiny.
- Take one carrot and chop it in box style pieces.
- Start to fry onions and garlic until brownish, add spinach and salt, add carrots on top of, cover pan and boil for 3 minutes.
- Add peanut butter of about 3 tea spoons, mix them well with spinach and boil for 2 minutes more then put aside.
This is how our spinach should be look like. Perfect and delicious yet not finished with the cooking procedures.
Time for chicken meat as the last procedure.
- Clean chicken meat and chop into small pieces. The favored ones.
- Take remaining carrot and onions, chop into the same shapes as in spinach.
- Wash tomatoes and blend, put aside in plate.
- Wash peppers and cut into small size shapes.
- Wash well okra and chop as favored.
- Take frying pan and start with onions and garlic, fry until brownish, add chicken meat keep frying until meat turns whitish.
- Add okra keep fry for 2 minutes, add tomatoes and salt, keep fry until well mixed.
- Add some soup of water and boil for 10 -15 minutes.
- After the time add 4 teaspoons of peanut butter and mix well, once well mixed add spinach and some pepper powder for taste, cook for 3 minutes or less.
After all that while, our cuisine is ready for meal, here in Zimbabwe we prefer it with Sadza, want to know how to make Sadza, keep updated here, enjoy the meal.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!