Zambia – Kalembula
by Alkased Mamim
Kalembula is name that whenever you will be required to list down Zambian cuisines, no wonder it must appear there. It’s a cuisine from Sweet potato leaves, mixed with vegetables to enhance taste and nutritional benefits.
These leaves not only are used to prepare Kalembula, they also workout as traditional medicine for stomach, liver and kidney diseases, like unconscious stomach aches and kidney stones.
In Zambia homes, there is a tendency to find a portion of land for growing vegetables, this works as well for sweet potatoes.
There other Zambian dishes prepared from leaves such like ndiwo dish. Welcome as we prepare this wonderful and a taste to try dish.
Things to prepare
- 5 bunches of Potato leaves
- 3 Carrots
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 Onions
- Garlic (3 tea spoons)
- Peanut butter (2 tea spoons)
Steps for cooking
Before we begin to cook, we have to be keen on snapping the best leaves, they must be greenish all along, narrow and no sign for Caterpillar effect.
- Wash well the leaves and other ingredients.
- Chop onions, carrots and tomatoes into the pan.
- Cut leaves into small pieces and put on top to cover the ingredients.
- Add salt and oil, followed with garlic.
- Boil for 3-4 minutes, pass the wooden spoon to mix them.
- Boil once more for 3 minutes, take peanut butter in, stir well and add little water for soup. Keep boil for 3 minutes more, taste a leaf piece to notice if the food is ready.
- Take time to check in the pan for burning, as this will lower nutritional level of the cuisine.
- Once all steps have been followed well, our cuisine must be ready for lunch or dinner.
Enjoy another taste from Zambia with Nsima or rice.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!