Tanzania – Wild Meat Roast
by Tanomba Thati
In Tanzania there are more than 120 tribes, but today we will focus to Sukuma tribe, one of the most dispersed tribe in the country. Tanzania is an East African country bordered with Indian ocean to it’s east, Kenya and Uganda to the northeast and north part respectively, Rwanda, Burundi and D.R.C Congo to its western part and Malawi to the southern part.
Sukuma people are well known as Agricultural tribe at large and will always consume natural foods, wild meat being among of it. Antelope are found in some areas where Sukuma people leaves, they did mix it with a wild green leaf called “Shona” in Swahili, it is a plant with protruding sticks that tends to stick on clothes when one passes by, the leaves are our target today.
It is believed that the wild plant leaves brings energy and smooth meat for easy chew, also it is a cure for liver cells from cancer. Welcome as we prepare this delicious cuisine from Tanzania.
Thing to prepare
- 1 kg of wild animal steak (use goat meat instead)
- 3 bunches of wild plant leaves. Use hands to measure bunches
- 2 onions
- 1 garlic
- 2 lemons
- Prepare meat by cut into pieces but don’t wash it.
- Put meat on pot and add lemon juice, mix it well, add salt and garlic and mix.
- Leave meat for 10 minutes.
- Clean, wash and cut wild leaves into pieces. Cut onion as well.
- Prepare the cooker, start to fry onions and wild leaves with oil for 6 minutes under low heat. Cover top and let it cool for 2 minutes.
- Add meat and mix well, add some soup and salt, mix again. The soup must not be much, only for keeping the food from burn.
- Leave the roast to boil for 20-25 minutes. Check to adjust soup and salt.
- After the time taste a piece of meat to be sure that it is well cooked. Meat must be smooth and easy chew.
- Our cuisine is ready prepared,enjoy with family.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!