by Robert Christopher
Red rice in Tanzania is among the best loved dishes, as it tests ones well cooking strategy. There is a say, “one rice piece, a thousand cooking styles”. The cuisine resembles to Jollof rice from Nigeria but this one is quite different, once you take it, you won’t regret it.
Red rice is prepared almost in every part of the country starting with Dar es Salaam where it originate to big cities like Arusha, Mwanza, Dodoma and so on. It takes it place in big celebrations like marriage and birthday parties.
We will cook this cuisine as follows;
Prepare the followings
- 1 kg of rice
- cooking oil
- 1 carrot.
- 1 big onion.
- Spinach for side taste if you like
- Grinned garlic
- Tomato (blended)
- 1/4 kg of green peas
It is better to choose yellow rice, and soft green peas for the best result.
- Wash rice and put in clean vessel.
- Fry using cooking oil onions, carrots and garlic for 30 – 80 seconds, add tomato of about 3 fruit tomatoes, keep fry for at most 4 minutes.
- Add rice and mix it through, add salt and mix, fry for 3 minutes.
- Add water and green peas on top, boil for 10-15 minutes.
Those few simplified steps, will provide us the Red rice from Tanzania. Serve it by putting some spinach on top, to bring about welcoming look, enjoy with meat or vegetable roast.