Swaziland – Sidlwadlwa (Meat and Vegetable (Cabbage) Mix)
by Y Shomwi
Swaziland is a country that observes traditional dishes. Most of it’s dishes are prepared with vegetables and cereals including pumpkins, beans leaves, spinach, cabbages as well as maize, millet and cassava respectively
This is a white Rhino, one among the few species remained around the park areas. (in a picture)
One of the famous taboo about Swaziland is that they have been eating vegetables and abstain from meat, only before advancement of fridges’ technology, this was taken as among the customs.
Nowadays, people use beef mostly when it comes to food with a meat necessity.
This is among the reason for Swaziland to have white Rhino species still exist in their land. Sidlwadlwa is a recipe of meat and cabbage mix to bring about the Swaziland cuisine taste style of vegetable in a beef roast, welcome.
- 1/4 kg of soaked broken corn
- 1/2 kg of beef
- 1/2 cabbage
- 3 tomatoes (blended)
- 2 onions
- Peanut butter
- Boil up corn for about 3 hours to be sure they are ready.
- Cut cabbage into small long pieces, put into clean plate.
- Cut beef into cubes, wash and put into a cooking pan.
- Add in the pan with meat, salt and then boil until ready. (may take about 20-30 minutes)
- Make sure the soup remains to protect meat from burn, but after it is ready pour the soup in a sauce.
- Cut onions in the meat and fry them altogether until color change is observed.
- Add in tomatoes and keep fry for 3 minutes.
- Add in cabbages and boil for 5 minutes. Cabbages gives it’s own soup for the boiling process.
- Add in butter and mix and stir until well mixed.
- Lastly put in the corn and meat soup, boil until heavy soup is observed. It may take almost 6 minutes less.
Our cuisine is ready, enjoy with family or friends. This is Swaziland way of eating, sitting as family or friends to make groups and enjoy the meal.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!