by Tanomba Thati
Talking about Somalia cusine leaving Suugo Sugaar unmentioned it is a great mistake. This is among the best tastes you can never forget. Somalia is a country in African continent bounded by the Gulf of Aden to the north, Indian Ocean to the east, Ethiopia to the west and Djibouti to the northwest.
Suugo Sugaar brings a taste moment with paste cooked along with pieced beef and xawaash (the must Somalian food spice), blessed with tomatoes and sugar to subdue the mix taste.
This cuisine originally traced back over years past when many Somali families used to prepare it for breakfast in the morning.
During those times beef processor were not yet introduced therefore beef was carefully chopped into very tiny pieces to meet the meal need.
Also, in some families that had hardship to find meat of any kind, tomato sauce was prepared and tossed on top of the pasta.
The xawaash spice was a must ingredient as it signifies the cuisine origin from Somali. I warmly welcome to join with me in this course of Suugo Sugaar preparation.
- 1 kg of beef
- 1 spaghetti packet
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable seasoning
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 onion
- ½ green pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp xawaash
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Cook pasta by boiling it over warm water for 15 minutes. Set aside but keep warm.
- Chop beef into tiny pieces. (use meat processor if you have it)
- Wash and boil a little to wash off blood. (some people dislike blood)
- Blend the mix of onions, green pepper and garlic in the food processor.
- Take pot and heat up under medium heat, add oil and blended mix, cook for almost 3 minutes.
- Add beef, mix and stir, cover and leave it ti cook for 10 minutes.
- Check for water, if it is absorbed add the spice xawaash and mix meat until browned.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste, mix.
- Add the seasonings and sugar, mix. Lower heat and cook for 40 – 45 minutes.
- Check for oil float, then add cilantro and black pepper, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Our cuisine is well made. Serve the sauce over pasta and enjoy with family or friends.