Somalia – Maraq Baamiye
by Tanomba Thati
Somalia is a country found in the western zone of African continent. It is located at the horn of Africa. It is bordered with Ethiopia to it’s west, Kenya to the south west and to the eastern part is Indian Ocean.
Maraq Baamiye is Okra stew comprises of veggies like tomatoes and potatoes.
Okra is the main ingredient, however other people would like to mix the cuisine with meat.
Meat is readily marinated with spices, boiled to make it smooth and then get cooked along with the Maraq Baamiye.
Furthermore if you plan to cook only vegetables, then I recommend you partially boil the Okras first to make them a little tender before mixing in the cuisine, boiling before makes Okra ease to cook and saves time.
Feel Somali taste today with this cuisine, kindly welcome to the recipe.
- Two handy bunches of Okras.
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 potatoes
- 3 cups of broth
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- Clean and chop onions, carrots and tomatoes. Peel potatoes and chop.
- Wash okras and chop (on your favor).
- Heat up oil in a pan and fry onions for 2-3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes or as ones like, add potatoes and fry a little, then add carrots and fry for 4 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and tomatoes, mix a while and cook for 4 minutes until tomato are tender.
- Add okras and coriander powder, add broth and cook. Simmer until tender.
- After you get a thick soup, our cuisine is ready.
- Share it with friends or family, enjoy the taste.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!